Sunday, July 27, 2008

Can you believe...another hiccup

I write this much earlier than I wish. We have yet again had another setback. Maggie's periferal IV has fallen out. She awoke around 2:45 am and being that she was not allowed to eat after 3:00 am, I fed her until around 3:25. Andy set her back in her crib only to have her wake up and begin crying. After rocking her for some time, Andy tried several attempts to get her back in her crib. After a dirty diaper, I picked her up to calm her. I then gave her to Andy and when doing so I noticed blood on the floor. Her IV was dripping blood. I ran for the nurse and their team came in to try to salvage Maggie's IV. It ended up falling out of her vein and there was no way to keep it intact so they pulled it. With that they scheduled surgery for 8:30 am and blood to be drawn, most likely through a prick in the heel (which Maggie will scream) around 6:00 am. So, needless to say our night of sleep is finished. We will take turns walking Maggie and rocking her as to keep her calm and asleep. Benadryl (the drug we very often rely on to relax and get Maggie to sleep) is out because they would have to give it orally and she is not allowed to have anything in her stomach. They will plan to give Maggie more platelets during surgery (it was originally scheduled for 6:00 am through her periferal IV).

Please pray that the surgery and placement of the temporary line with be successful and that it will last until the new broviac is inserted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Whitney,
I'm so sorry for the continuous set-backs. I know you are all very exhausted. I will pray for strength for everyone and of course for everything to go well for Maggie's surgery and that she will have negative bloodwork results.
I wish I could help you in some way. Please know we are praying daily.
love,
deborah, hayden & baby hudson

E said...

Whitney,
I'm just thinking that when you have the hiccups for a long time they really HURT after a while. We're praying that the hiccups will go AWAY and that life will be smooth for the three of you (especially sweet Maggie!) for a bit--rest, peace and strength for another day.
Elisha and the boys