Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chemo Postponed- Home for now

We were discharged from the hospital a couple of hours ago. On Thursday when we went to the clinic, we were expecting to start chemotherapy again, but instead were surprised to be admitted for mouth sores. Of course, I knew Maggie had mouth sores, but they were not bothering her, they only looked bad (a bloody mess). The doctors continually assumed she was in pain and wanted to give her pain meds or magic mouthwash (it numbs the mouth). Throughout the last couple of days though, Maggie has not appeared to be in any pain and has been smiling and playing. So, finally the doctors listened to us (or I'd like to think they did) and allowed us to go home and wait it out because her counts are not high enough to start chemo. Maggie's platelets are below the necessary number in order to begin. We will be going into the clinic on Monday to check them and possibly give her a transfusion of platelets.

I have mixed emotions about our being home. I am glad that the doctors are taking every precaution necessary for Maggie, but I feel that our last 3 days in the hospital were unneeded. Maggie has been good--nursing, and like I said earlier, playing and smiling. It was frustrating being in there knowing she is feeling so good. I am glad that we are home, but I wish that we could have started our next chemotherapy treatment. We have two more in-patient treatments before we move to the next phase in which we have weekly chemotherapy treatments in the clinic. I cannot WAIT for the day we get to that next phase. I am a planner and on my calendar I have her treatments penciled in. We are now 3 days behind schedule and will most likely not begin until later next week. I would love to be finished with this phase before Thanksgiving because it would be nice to celebrate the holiday with family. We have been trapped in Dayton for about 4 months now. Andy and I are beginning to feel the effects, and I think to be able to get to the next phase of treatment would help.

Please continue to pray for Maggie, that her mouth sores will heal, her counts will recover, and she will remain in good spirits.

No comments: