Maggie took her last dose of steroids this morning, and I think we were both happy to be done with that. Maggie doesn't mind taking her medicines (which is a good thing because she has a lot of them), however the steroid is the worst tasting medicine and when she sees it, she immediately begins to cry. Andy says it smells like rubbing alcohol. Regardless, it makes her scream, gag, and claw at her tongue when we give it to her. But, thankfully, we are done until next month.
Maggie had a better day today compared to yesterday. She didn't moan as much and communicated to us through words, smiles, and some giggles. Her appetite decreased a bit this afternoon and when Andy took her to the store, he said that she gagged in her car seat. Throughout steroid week, we always give Maggie an anti-nausea medicine, Zofran, to combat any nausea that it might give (she has gotten sick on two separate occasions when on steroids). I didn't give her any Zofran this morning since it was her final dose and she appeared to have done well all week. I think this might have caused some of the nausea and loss of appetite.
I wanted to share this funny little story that happened last night. As of late, Maggie has been telling us when she wants to go "nigh-nigh." She did this again last night and so we did our bedtime routine of brushing teeth, taking meds, etc. We went downstairs to say goodnight to Andy and Maggie spotted the cheese puff bag. She wanted one, to which I allowed, even though we had just washed hands and brushed her teeth. She held it and didn't eat it right away, yet still asked to go nigh-nigh.
So, I brought her upstairs and on my way up, she began munching on her cheese puff. She asked for more so I went back downstairs, grabbed the bag and went back upstairs to sit on a chair while she ate. She didn't want to eat, but refused to let go of the cheese puff. I decided to walk her around (this is the way we put her to bed-- walking laps around our house), hoping that when she fell asleep she would drop the cheese puff.
She fell asleep and I laid her down and laid next to her. When I laid her down she opened her eyes, closed them, and then began to take small bites of her cheese puff. I just had to laugh because here she was, eyes closed, practically asleep and munching on her puff. With about a quarter of it to go, she fell asleep- mid munch. I laid a bit longer and tried to leave. She awoke and started to sit up, all the while, dropping her cheese puff. She searched for it in the dark, laid back down, and began munching on it again with tiny little bites.
She eventually finished that cheese puff and all the while I was just praying she wouldn't wake up and give me the sign for more. She didn't and ended up falling asleep. It reminded me of a child with a pacifier, the way she was eating that cheese puff. Maggie never took to a pacifier (though I wish she had since she used me as the pacifier for quite a long time). Perhaps I should have just given her cheese puffs instead.
My words might not have captured the funniness of the event, but I thought it was quite cute. Maggie continues to surprise us in new and interesting ways. We love her so much!
4 comments:
I understand there are people who in the middle of the night get up, go to the refrigerator, eat something, and return to bed with no recollection of the event the next morning. The truth being revealed by an observer or a noticeable portion of food being missing the next morning.
Maggie munching on her cheese puff while apparently being asleep or nearly so reminded me of this.
I can see why it was endearing as well as a bit funny.
Eager to see you all soon.
Love and prayers always.
Great Aunt Phyllis
I love that story!
It's the silly little stories like this that mean the most.
How funny...kids do the funniest things some times. Give Maggie a puff and a kiss for me!
Unfotunately we do understand exactly what you mean and I 'm sure Katie-Belle understands Maggie's plight all too well. I guess that's why we cancer families stick together. I am glad that Maggie's steroid week is over. I dread each and every one. Only 7 more to go for us though I hope. Katie-Belle takes her dexamethasone best when mixed in the same syringe with her grape flavored zantac and cherry syrup for compounding medications, you can get it without a script at a local compounding pharmacy. I don't know if Maggie takes zantac or not. It is nasty as well, but Katie-Belle takes it ok with the CVS grape flavor and giving them together sems to take the edge off of the dexamethasone even more than just adding the cherry syrup. Maybe that will help next time. Keep fighting the good fight.
Karen Cooley
Post a Comment