Just a little story... Maggie will tell us when she has pooed or when she is going to go. So yesterday she was sitting on the couch and said "poo." Andy asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty (we bought her a little one last week), and she pointed it out. So, we took her diaper off and pulled her paints down. She had already urinated in her diaper, so I assumed she was finished, but I figured since she was willing, we'd just go along with it.
As I took off her diaper, she insisted her pants be taken off all the way, including her socks. She's a little funny like that. Sometimes when we come in from being outside and take off Maggie's coat, she also wants all of her clothes taken off. Not sure why... So she sat on the potty and I also modeled it for her (scaffolding is very important, you know). When she stood up, there were 2 drops in the potty. So, I guess we can consider this her first potty experience and it was a success!
Needless to say, this is not our goal at the current time. We will respond to Maggie's cues, but we are much more interested in walking. Hopefully she will soon become interested in this as well.
4 comments:
As you say, always be grateful for small successes! Speaking from experience...if she's interested, go with it now and the process will be much more smooth! I have no doubt she'll get interested in walking as her desire for independence increases. (Remember the old saying "You spend x-number of months trying to get them to walk and talk, then x-number of YEARS trying to get them to sit down and be quiet!")
Yay for little Maggie! We just began potty training this week for our Carly. It is quite the hassle but worth it in the end. Just one more thing to deal with, huh?
Hey Whitney,
I am so sorry I couldn't talk to you the other day at work. I wanted to speak with Phyllis (obviously irrated at the decision) I hope you are happy with all that is going on with work. I miss you and I am so glad to hear that Maggie is doing well. We are always praying for you. Hugs, Jess
Well, Maggie is a smart little girl. And all she's been through has made her unusually aware of what's happening in her body, I'd guess. So it looks like she's giving you an invitation to be potty trained.
If she can manage it, I should think it be a good ego-booster for her as well as a convenience for you. I.e., provide her an awareness of something about her body she can herself control. Having had so much done to her that she had to just endure.
So glad that is diminished so she can be her sunny self once more. And hopefully not need to cling to you for solace so much and thus strike out for the independence of walking as well.
Love and prayers always,
Great Aunt Phyllis
Post a Comment