Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Update

Sorry it has been so long. Usually, our long breaks between posts are due to our being home, eating out, visiting with family and friends, and enjoying a more "normal" lifestyle. That's been true, to a degree. We are also a bit tired, worn, and dealing with the "steroid" blues hasn't helped. However, we have been celebrating all the while as Maggie's birthday is Wednesday, Oct. 8. (I'm writing this Tuesday night). Sunday we had some family and friends to Dayton for a party. We had a nice time, though all who were there would attest that Maggie was not happy. She was very cranky the whole time and let us all know what she thinks of being on steroids. Still, it is such a wonderful blessing to celebrate her birthday. I have told several that when we were waiting for the official diagnosis in late June--I was very afraid that Maggie wouldn't reach her first birthday. I don't know if Whitney ever contemplated that or not. But, there was no guarantee that she'd recover as she has, and, in order to preserve our sanity we avoided reading about different cancers, survival rates, etc. It was too much for us at that time. We had no idea if it was cancer for sure, and if it was, we didn't know what her chances would be.

So, it is quite amazing to celebrate Maggie's first year. I know that I can't reflect on it very clearly right now. Her party felt different to me than any other birthday that I've celebrated. It was less about having a chance to eat cake, give gifts, and give simple recognition to someone. This felt like a real accomplishment and a real cause for celebration. Further, we were able to celebrate knowing that Maggie is doing very, very well so far. At least as well as we could hope. So that made it so much better. It was great to see those who made it and we appreciate all of them helping us celebrate. Maggie got spoiled a bit, too--lots of new toys to try out. Thanks to all.

We hope to have one more birthday bash Wednesday evening at the hospital--this is something that Whitney and I felt very strongly about. Our nurses, aides, doctors, and everyone else at Children's Medical Center in Dayton have become a family to us. We are proud of Maggie and want to share the excitement with them. Plus, we know how much people have grown to love Maggie.
Maggie has been on Steroids (dexamethazone, or decadron) for about 6 days now. We finish up Thursday morning. Maggie has been more affected by the steroid this time than in previous times. She is often fussy, whining consistently--and she doesn't smile as often. That has been tough. We'll also be in the clinic in the morning to get blood counts checked in anticipation of another round of chemo in the hospital Thursday. We should be in the hospital for a number of days but hopefully will be home by the end of the weekend.

As a family, we are experiencing significant highs and lows. We're trying to keep our morale intact, relationships strong, patience steady, and meet requirements of our work and careers. It is a busy time. Things should improve when the steroid treatment ends and especially when we can cross off another week of treatment from our calendar. Good days should be ahead of us.

Blessings to you all.

7 comments:

O'Briskie Family said...

I woke this morning, and the first thing on my mind was Maggie's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope the three of you have a wonderful day, playing with new toys, and celebrating God's great miracle in your little girl. I am so happy you were able to have her party. What a wonderful day!!

Gwen Ernst said...

Happy Birthday, Maggie!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit late getting Maggie's birthday card sent--mailed it last evening. But I'm sure she won't mind too much.

So wish I could have been with the rest of your family at Sunday's party. But I'm glad you had so many to support the three of you in your journey to healing.

Love and prayers always.
Great Aunt Phyllis

Becca said...

Happy Birthday Maggie!

I just wanted you to know that we are praying for you. Our mutual friend, Gwen, let me know about your little girl, and I wanted you to know she is being prayed for. The power of prayer is amazing. ((hugs))

Becky Rebilas and family

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Maggie! Jay is still talking about your cool red car :) Hang in there Whitney and Andy... we love ya!

Jess, Paul and Jay

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful day, yesterday, Maggie's birthday. Happy Birthday dear Maggie!!!!! I enjoyed the movie of Maggie waving. Keeping you three in our prayers. God bless you all. love ya lucy m.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Maggie! So glad you could have a celebration with family & friends. Must mean Maggie's counts are doing okay again. Thank God for her response to treatment! You are in our prayers. Love, Cousin Carol in Florida. No apologies needed for not posting. You both are doing a wonderful job of keeping us up-to-date with you all.