Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Updates on the Infection

I called the clinic yesterday, 48 hours after the first culture was done due to Maggie's fever. They found that the bacteria she has is called enterobacter aerogenes. Though this means nothing for probably most of you, for us it means that it is a different bacteria than her last fever (which means that bacteria hasn't lingered in her broviac the last several weeks, or at least I don't think it has). The other thing that it means is the antibiotic that she is currently taking, Rocephin, is compatible in getting rid of the bug. And I think this is proof by the fact that the nurse called this morning and told us that the cultures that were taken on Monday, still have not grown anything. This is great news. This means that the bug might be on its way out if not already out of Maggie's body and it also means that if it continues to remain negative, Maggie will stay on course for her next round of chemotherapy and will go in tomorrow morning for another 4 day treatment of Methotrexate.

There has been evidence in several occasions today that I have witnessed God working. Maggie is doing so well despite her infection, and it appears that the infection is gone or nearly gone (and her broviac may be saved). My home church family has received wonderful news of answered prayer. When experiences like these occur, you can't help but shout out a Praise God or Halleluja. It's instances like these that help us to see that God is still very present in our world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, God is definitely at work in all of this, even when it isn't apparent or make sense to us. Keep clinging in trust!

Debbie M.

Gwen Ernst said...

I'll shout out a Praise God with ya! You and your precious little Maggie remain in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Anonymous said...

I know you feel God's presence and am glad. I also know that Maggie, Whitney, and Andy are my heroes for how they are facing these challenges. Love and prayers. Great Aunt Phyllis