Monday, March 16, 2009

Surprised

Well, it's a good thing I'm not a betting woman because I was wrong about how the clinic visit went this afternoon. Along with an IVIG (immune booster), Maggie received her scheduled chemotherapy. Maggie's ANC ended up being 2300. Last week her ANC was 840 and I was sure it would continue to drop, but surprisingly so, it boosted back up. Her hemoglobin and platelets have also continued to remain steady, if not even rise a bit. So, Maggie's counts are looking really good right now.

I should also tell you that Maggie is cutting 2 more teeth. The teeth have been slow in coming, but when they come, they come with a vengeance. I don't think that they have affected her too much, but who knows, it probably isn't helping the sleep problem (according to what I read about children teething and it's affect on sleep).

Andy spoke with Dr. French at the clinic this evening and he seems pretty acceptable of our doing Maggie's last inpatient heavy chemo outpatient. I am very happy about this. We would go to the clinic so Maggie could receive her high dose chemo (lasting 4 plus hours) and then she would go home on IV fluids and anti-nausea drugs. Hopefully by doing this, it will ease some of the disruption in our life. We have about 4 more weeks before her last scheduled high dose chemo.

Thank you for your continued prayers for Maggie. Please continue to pray that the chemo will do its job and Maggie will not have any of its side effects.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news. I know staying "on schedule" will help in the long run.

I am glad you have the option of remaining outpatient. A consistent home routine will surely be a help in improving Maggie's sleeping patterns as well as getting more rest yourselves.

Continuing to pray....

Debbie M.

Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD FOR GOOD THINGS!!!!

In His Hands,
Amy!

Anonymous said...

Yes, good news about the chemo doing its job must give you new patience in the day-to-day struggles. Also good news about being able to stay at home for this round.

Do the doctors make any suggestions about her sleeping? I am so aware of what insufficient sleep does to me. And pray you can find some solutions.

Love and prayers.
Great Aunt Phyllis