Monday, June 15, 2009

Counts

We held our breath all day long for our afternoon clinic appointment. I was very nervous to see what Maggie's counts would be. In a way I was thinking about how our life could quite possibly change today if we received bad results. Maggie's white count had not ever gotten to the number it was last week, 11,000. Though she was within the normal range (6,000 to 14,000), she was higher than she had ever been since being diagnosed.

We received only half of her counts, but her white count (which is the one we were most anxious about) was at 2.5 (or 2500). This was wonderful news for us as the chemo is doing its job (and doing it well). We will take this as our last sign of evidence that Maggie is indeed doing well and is kicking cancer in the butt.

All in all, Maggie is doing wonderfully. She wants to eat almost all the time. It will be 11:00 pm and we'll be trying to get Maggie to sleep (for the last 2 hours) and she'll spot her high chair and want to eat. She is in that chair more than she is out lately. We are happy to see that and hope that it will continue. Our goal is that she will be able to maintain the weight that the TPN is giving her (she is currently weighing 23 pounds 4 oz.). We begin steroids now for 5 days, in which we will probably lose our chatting, happy baby, but hopefully after they are through, Maggie will be back to her old self.

Thank you for your prayers, especially today. We appreciate them all. And now, I am off for a walk. Enjoy the beautiful weather as we continue to do.

6 comments:

Gwen Ernst said...

Praise the Lord! Rejoicing with you in this great news. I am sure you feel like you can breathe a bit easier now. Wish I could have joined you in your walk. I will continue to pray for Maggie while I am gone, and hopefully get to check here sometimes with Dan's laptop.

Anonymous said...

Great news! I was disappointed when I arrived at CMC tonight and Jerad told me I had just missed you. I would have loved to have met you and your sweet Maggie. So glad your day went well.

The Barnett Family said...

I was sorry that I missed you guys too! I got there about 15 minutes after you left. I am starting to see that the steriods are not a fun time too. Ally is so much happier now that she is off them (only to start again soon). I am happy to see Maggie's WBC number.

Jerad said...

Great seeing you guys yesterday (in our group bubble...the Hemoc Unit...which is a little lonely right now) and great to see Maggie looking so good. Even better was hearing Maggie's counts. Keep that high chair handy if she's starting the steroids!

Anonymous said...

Yes, so glad for the good news about Maggie.

I hope this helps facing another series of steroid days.

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis

Anonymous said...

We are rejoicing with you about these results! Praise the Lord!


The Wolf Family :)