I took Maggie to get her labs done today as she has been inconsolable all day. Since she has had diarrhea, we wondered if perhaps her potassium was really low. It ended up that though her potassium did drop from 3.8 on Monday to 3.1 today, it was not low enough to get an infusion or cause her constant crying. The disheartening thing was that we went in there with Maggie crying and we left with her still crying, not being told how to help her, other than an increase in her oral potassium (which will not help the pain that she is in).
Maggie has basically cried since noon today. The only time she doesn't cry is when she is in the stroller going for a walk. The walking seems to lull her to sleep. So, we have spent much of the day walking the neighborhood. It is so hard to watch her cry and not be able to do anything. This is no ordinary steroid whine, this is a full-fledged pained cry. Something is hurting her, but we don't know what due to her lack of communication. We wonder if she has stomach pain or if her teeth are hurting her. We have no idea other than the fact that she is refusing to eat, drink, or take her medicines, which normally she will gladly do.
Please pray for Maggie that whatever is causing the pain, it will go away immediately. If this continues, I am to call the doctor tomorrow. I just pray that it will pass quickly. We have 1 more day of steroids and then hopefully all will wear off and our baby will come back.
4 comments:
Praying for Maggie and both of you!
whit- i can not imagine how exhausting that is. I have had sick kids this week and it takes all the energy we have as moms but at least i can get medicine and know the problem and solution. I Am praying for you.
Uggh! I'm praying for you--that somehow Maggie will be able to get through this last day and for extra strength today for her Mama. We too have all been sick for the past two weeks and it gives me a renewed compassion (and resolve to pray HARDER!) for what you're going through. Hang in there, Whitney. Big hugs to all of you!
What can I say but
Love and Prayers Always.
Great Aunt Phyllis
Post a Comment