Saturday, September 12, 2009

Update and Big Weekend

Sorry for the tardy update. We've had a busy week and some computer difficulties as well. Maggie did go to the clinic and was given a good report. Her potassium was relatively low from her diarrhea, but it wasn't low enough to need to do anything different (no IV infusion). That was a relief for us as we know that sometimes she manages okay even with severe diarrhea for a few days.

More importantly, we got to see her blood counts for the first time in a long time, and they were in great shape. Her platelets have risen since the last time they were read and her white count and red count are fine as well. It was great to get the good report, and also nice to get the counts a week early so that we could relax until the next visit.

Maggie goes in for her next clinic visit for chemo on Monday and will start a week of steroids then as well. So, we begin our cycle of treatment, side effects, and slow recovery.

This weekend is exciting for us as Whitney is in her cousin's wedding today, and we have an exciting concert planned for tomorrow. Maggie will get to see both sides of her extended family this weekend.

My (Andy) dad is a pianist and provided the soundtrack for my childhood. I remember waking up on Saturdays to the sound of his practicing, he played in church quite often on Sundays, and in general, he filled our walls with beautiful music. He is very gifted. When Maggie became sick, he decided that he wanted to hold a benefit concert to support pediatric cancer research, and Sunday (tomorrow) is the day. He has spent many, many hours planning the concert, arranging some of the pieces, and getting them all ready to perform. A local family recently started "Lydia's Hope," a children's cancer foundation to support research...in honor of their daughter who lost her battle with AML leukemia earlier this year. The proceeds from the concert will support Lydia's Hope and will hopefully contribute to meaningful findings to better understand, treat, and defeat pediatric cancers.

It is going to be a wonderful event, although I don't know fully how it will feel until we get there. I know that it will be a very moving and uplifting time and I hope that Maggie feels well enough to be able to enjoy it. I know that I will be very proud of my dad, my daughter, and as always the families that have or will share our struggle.

We'll post an update and hopefully some pictures in the early part of the week. Also, we'll pass along info about Lydia's Hope and the projects it supports.

Thanks for your continued support and interest in Maggie.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

This good news on so many levels. Enjoy, Enjoy. We'll remember your dad in prayer for the concert tonight.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your weekend. The concert sounds beautiful! I hope everything goes well. Thinking and praying for you. Jess

Anonymous said...

You are amazing people. Your love of God resinates in the life that you share. I pray that His strength will help your family through this busy weekend.

kensingtonlawyer said...

Hi Guys! It was great to meet you in person today, and I am so glad we had a chance to talk. I wanted to send you the link for the little girl Alex, whom we discussed. Although she had AML, she was a baby when diagnosed and is now doing very well. If you need anything or just want to talk, I promise I will just listen. Also, if you are ever really down Whitney, Max and I could always make a day trip to Dayton and he is a great big brother to little kids and would adore Maggie. God Bless!
Here is that link:

http://www.alexupdate.com/backgrnd.htm

Gwen Ernst said...

Glad to hear the news of Maggie's counts. That is so neat about your dad and the concert. What a gift! Hope you had an enjoyable time.