Maggie had her labs drawn yesterday and today, both showing her potassium at 3.4 (it was 2.4 when we left the clinic Monday). In talking to the nurse, as long as her diarrhea slows, tonight will be her last night of fluids. I was hoping that the numbers would be a bit higher, considering she's on fluids, but I guess her body is slow to responding and she is still losing a lot of potassium in her diarrhea.
I noticed yesterday that the steroids still seemed to be affecting Maggie. She was very touchy in that if something didn't go her way, she would immediately start screaming. An example of this was when we decided to go out. It was a beautiful day, mid 60's and so I decided we would go to the Greene, our favorite hang out on nice days. I dressed her like it was winter; winter coat, winter hat and gloves just in case (I had forgotten what the 60's felt like after being so cold lately). When we stepped outside and felt the warmth I took Maggie's hat off and she was very mad. So, she ended up dressed for winter and probably sweating, but she was happy. I guess that's all that matters. So, the day was quite challenging and from the moment I woke up to the time I went to bed I spent 5 minutes by myself, all the while hearing Maggie calling my name. It was a long day and one that didn't get any relief, even once everyone was asleep.
Maggie is doing better today as she has had less tantrums. I just finally got her to take a nap by herself, something that hasn't been done since the Sunday before last. I am hoping the steroids will rid her system soon as I think they have also caused all of this diarrhea, behavior changes, and sleep changes. It will be nice when Andy and I can sit down together again for a few moments to just relax while our baby is sleeping. You need some downtime every now again, right?
Please pray that these enzymes will be effective and that they will stop Maggie's diarrhea and that she will start to put on some weight. I weighed her today at the clinic and she was up to 21 lbs. 7 oz. with a bit of a wet diaper, so there is improvement, but most likely from fluids. We all just want some relief soon.
5 comments:
you know what I think would be really hard? Something like what happened when you went for a walk seems like normal toddler behavior, actually. One day they are fine and happy, the next they are inhabited by an alien! :) I'm sure you, as her parents can tell differences on different days..... but I thought I'd tell you that. (not that that helps in any way....) But navigating through an illness, diarrhea AND crazy toddler-dom would just be waaaaay more complicated!
It is so difficult when you have a serious situation and are getting different advice from different specialists. It's almost like getting no advice at all because you're thrown back on making the decision yourself.
You are all my thoughts and prayers daily.
Love. Great Aunt Phyllis
I was going to say the same thing about Maggie wanting to leave the hat on. It sounds like she is exhibiting some normal 2 year old behavior :-).
I know we have never officially met, but when things get a bit better, I would love to watch Maggie for you so you and Andy could go out together. Even if it is only for 30 minutes the first time. I know that sounds odd coming from stranger :-), but please know the offer stands!
Hopefully we get to meet on Saturday. :-)
nicki@winger.com
You do need some downtime for yourself. I know I am feeling quite stressed right now because I have had the same situation...not five minutes to do anything. Lots of days I don't even sit down to eat my meals. It has to get better for us, right?
The typical 2-year-old behavior is fun for others to read, though I know it is adding to your frustration. Quiet Oasis' description is perfect.
I'm praying and have again asked the church to pray for the diarrhea and nutrition concerns.
Debbie
Post a Comment