Monday, November 23, 2009

To our knees

Well, we've had a rough stretch. In our last post, we stated that we were ready to be content (diarrhea and all)--knowing full well that winning Maggie's battle with cancer is the real fight. Several days into our content-filled bliss (Saturday night), Whitney noticed a series of faint spots on Maggie's forehead. Whitney and I were immediately stunned and floored (literally). We were scared to death and it knocked both of us to the ground. The spots looked different than what we saw last summer, but there were 3-4 of them and they were fairly close to where the previous ones once were.

We had an appointment today with Dr. French, so we had a rough time waiting a day and a half for some reassurance. We assumed that we wouldn't get much in terms of clarity by calling the on-call doc over the weekend. Much of the time since we first found them, we assumed that Maggie very possibly might have relapsed. Whitney's parents came down immediately to give us some company. We really appreciated that.

Ultimately, Dr. French decided that he wasn't concerned right now with what he saw. And, we are continuing to get coached-up by the nurses to find ways to relax. Maggie's blood counts were quite good, so we're trusting that Maggie is okay. It hasn't been easy though. If nothing else, we have been given lots of reminders lately that we can't take anything for granted.

Hopefully, Maggie's spots will go away soon and we can trust fully that her health is good. In the meantime, we would appreciate your prayers for Maggie's continued healing and for peace in our lives and minds.



6 comments:

Debbie said...

Reading your words tonight and praying for you sent me to my Bible. Psalm 62:1-2 says "My soul finds rest in God alone, my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken." And my favorite verse of all, Philippians 4:13, says "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." I know he's with you now.

Debbie M.

Anonymous said...

I know that fear is lurking in the back of your mind. One day at a time is the best you can do. I'm glad you had family support though this. Praying for you everyday. Jess

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray daily for Maggie's healin & also for her caregivers. May God Bless.
Praying in Missouri

kensingtonlawyer said...

Oh, how I know how you felt when you saw those spots...sheer terror I am sure, which any parent who has had a child with cancer can identify. Try and rest in the assurances of the doctors, and take each minute for what it is. Really LIVE every minute and don't over think all the "what ifs" of the situation. There is a certain point during this cancer journey where you must put your analytical mind to a certain rest, and just takes things on faith and trust, and squeeze each and every moment you can out of how ever much time any of us have...there is a lesson there for each one of us. You continue in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Monica Miyashita

Gwen Ernst said...

Sending you a big blog hug...was lifting you up before the Lord many times since I got off the phone with you. So glad you got good news about Maggie's counts. So glad you will be able to be with family over the holidays as well. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hope you have some restorative time with family over the holiday weekend.

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis