Maggie is on steroids (Dexamethasone) this week, and that presents some challenges. Tomorrow (Friday) is the last day of the nasty stuff; a dose in the morning and one in the evening. It is nasty in the way that it makes Maggie feel and act, and it happens to taste awful, too. This is the one of only two medicines that Maggie doesn't enjoy tasting now. Whitney is lucky enough to get to administer most of the doses now, and she has to lean Maggie back (while Maggie screams and flails her arms) and force the liquid into her mouth. It smells a little bit like rubbing alcohol, or paint thinner, or......I don't know what. It is bad. It isn't pleasant on the way down or once it circulates through Maggie's body. But, it is supposed to fight lymphocytic cancer cells, so it is a no-brainer.
I believe that Whitney has a countdown going, 62 more doses of the stuff before Maggie is off treatment in June/July. Maggie takes two doses per day for five days, one week of every month.
That being said, I am grateful that we are where we are in treatment and we can all tolerate steroid rage. It is inconvenient, but not the end of the world. Our perspective has changed.
Maggie had probably her best physical therapy appointment to date on Wednesday. She is quite fond of Nancy who has tolerated months of Maggie crying throughout her appointments. This week there were no tears, for the first time that has happened for the entire 30 minutes of exercise and play. Maggie is beginning to pull up on certain toys and furniture, cruising around, and crawling up stairs. She is less often found locking her knees as she stands, which means she's beginning to gain some muscle in her legs. We are so happy to see her progress and look forward to the day when we can announce that she is taking steps!
The clinic visit Maggie had on Monday showed her weight to be the highest ever, 24 lbs. 15 1/2 ounces. She is now in the 10-25th percentile! The TPN is obviously working, though her pre-albumin (what measures the nutritional status of her body) has dropped considerably in the last couple of weeks. Though we are trying not to read into anything, we do wonder what might be causing these levels to drop while there is evidence through her weight that she is obviously gaining nutritionally. She is not gaining on height yet, however Dr. French said height and head circumference are the last to catch up. We are very happy though to have her gaining and might I say (this is Whitney speaking), she is becoming quite the lug to carry around. I have told her she needs to start walking soon because she's just getting too big!
Finally, we know that it is hard to follow Maggie's story sometimes--it isn't pleasant or easy to have to think about what she's gone through. We appreciate that you've stuck with us and that you continue to support us in so many ways. We haven't used this blog as a forum to express our thanks to individuals, churches, families, friends, strangers...so many people. But we are blessed through the care that you provide, from prayers, cards and toys for Maggie, to gift cards and meals brought to our doorstep. We are humbled to have 87,000 hits on our webpage (and counting)--it is proof that we're not alone. There are so many ways to measure the support that we feel and we wish we could thank all of you individually. Until we find a way to do that, please know that we are grateful for what you all have done.
Blessings to you all, until next time.
9 comments:
wow, what an awesome post.
I can feel your hope meter rising by just reading this :)
I'm not sure if this helps, but prealbumin can be affected by any inflammation (I saw she recently might have had a cold... which can cause inflammatory response in the body). While its an excellent indicator of nutrition, different aspects of treatment and cancer can decrease it. If she has a lab taken called C-reactive protein (measures inflammation in the body) and its high, that causes the prealb to be low.
I say this hesitantly b/c prealbumin is the best nutritional indicator we have. But does a dietitian regularly see you? .... and oncology dietitian is an excellent reference for TPN/prealb concerns. (more so than doctors!) :)
Yay for things looking up!
The joy in this post is heartwarming! I am thrilled, especially on steroid week. Yea for Maggie making it to 24 pounds and a great PT session :)
loving you all!
WOW!!! This is GREAT news! And your'e both welcome for the prayers! I am so VERY HAPPY for Maggie's good reports with her weight and physical therapy and just all the great news! I must say thank-you to you both for being so informative on every post that you both have written! It helps us all to know exactly what you all are going through. I am so glad your HOPE meter is rising as well! This post seems to be one of the better posts and what a GREAT GIFT of good news for you ALL this JOYFUL time of the year! I'm So Very Happy For You All!!! And Dear Whitney...Just remember when you give Maggie her awful tasting medicine and she cries and flaps her arms around because you have to hold her forcefully and she hates it as much as you do that you are doing it because you LOVE HER and it is what she needs to get rid of and NEVER get back that nasty cancer!!! I will continue to pray for you all and hope that things only get better in the future! Take great care! Much Love, Tina :)))
You guys are good writers.
Such a joyful post! Praises to God for his care and blessings!
Debbie M.
So glad to hear the good news, and that you all feel as though things are looking up. Perhaps the very best news is that you are trying not to fret and worry so much that it overwhelms your spirit. I am glad to hear it; and I know how very hard that is.
Continued prayers for you all and thanksgiving for all the positive steps forward.
Monica Miyashita, Orrville, OH
Yes! Hope and Peace! Those are the blessings I am hearing in this post! Praise God! We continue to pray!
years from now, when you read this blog, you will of course be impressed by all the effort and pain you went through to help Maggie recover from cancer. But I think you will also notice, more than your closeness to this effort and pain allows you to see now, your growing strength and wisdom.
Needless to say, this is NOT how one would choose to gain these attributes. Nevertheless, they are increasing.
And I'm sure you'll find ways--are doubtless finding ways already--to share your strength and wisdom with others going through similar challenges.
Love and prayers always.
Great Aunt Phyllis
Post a Comment