Sunday, February 28, 2010

Still very critical

Maggie is on an oscillating ventilator now, since 4:00 AM. She was considered to be pretty stable last night at 6 or so, then from 9 PM until 4 she started taking a turn for the worse. The regular ventilator was no longer able to adequately balance the oxygen that she needed while getting rid of the carbon dioxide. So they stepped up their efforts and this is the last machine that they have. If Maggie continues to get worse before she gets better, we're in big trouble.

The good news is that she is relatively stable on this machine. Her blood pressures are good enough to take care of all of her organs. They've now calibrated the vent to where it needs to be now to balance her oxygen intake and CO2 output.

The doctors are stepping up their efforts to get some ideas from pathology to find out what bug or infection is causing all of this. The main intensive care doctor said this morning that it is hard to fight this war when you don't know who your enemy is.

In treating cases like this, it is common for people to get worse before they get better. That has happened here. The key is that she start to make improvements before it starts to get worse again. I'm not sure how hopeful the doctors are, but they are doing a great job.

We, on the other hand, are pleading to God and praying (and believing) that there is reason to be hopeful. This is the most important day of our lives so far. Pray that it is a day that we can celebrate as the beginning of her recovery from this nasty situation.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I check your blog frequently. As a mother I can't even imagine your stress level and pain. The three of you are in my thoughts so much these past couple days. Sending prayers, Leah S.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all.

John and Bethany said...

We are checking regularly, and I can't stop thinking about Maggie, and breathing prayers for all of you. Strength, comfort, peace and healing for all of you. Blessings - Bethany, John and Ian Simpson

Debbie said...

Still watching and praying. Can do errands, anything at all, just ask. Am monitoring e-mails.

Debbie

Free Rein Art Studio said...

you and your daughter are on my heart and in my prayers continuously...

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Maggie! We love you and are praying for clear lungs and good oxygen levels. See you soon. Jess

Anonymous said...

I know I am not a doctor but do they think about H1N1 having a play in this infection of Maggies. We had prayer for Maggie this morning at North Danvers and I know that Beth and Paul were doing the same in Washington. May you feel God wrapping love around your family.

mommathieszen said...

Praying for you....

God, in church this morning we learned of how so small we and our problems are in comparison to how BIG You are. In these moments when Maggie's health is a BIG concern, please be the God who is BIGGER and heal her little body. I believe You can do this, God, and we will give you all the glory in the end. Complete health is what I pray for because it's the "biggest" prayer I know to pray. Give complete peace as well to Whitney and Andy. May YOU REIGN!!!! Amen

E said...

Whitney and Andy,
I've been praying for you all weekend and continue. I asked for prayer for Maggie at church today and we stopped and prayed then for her healing and recovery to be complete. Many, many people all over are praying for your Maggie's healing. May you find comfort that You are not alone in this fight. Thank you for the update. My refresh button is constantly refreshing your page for updates! :) We love you and are believing with you that today is an important pinnacle in Maggie's life and we are hopeful! Hang on, hang on, hang on!
Big hugs,
Elisha

Anonymous said...

I am praying and praying and praying for Maggie and the the two of you. And I will continue to do so. She is a very strong little girl.
love you guys,
Donya

The Barnett Family said...

We are checking for updates all day long. I hope the worst is over and she starts to improve. Praying all day long for her (and you)

Tina Miller/Bill W. said...

DEAR ANDY & WHITNEY, I JUST TALKED TO UNCLE JIM. HE IS ON HIS WAY HOME FROM SEEING MAGGIE. HE EXPLAINED TO ME WHAT IT WAS LIKE SEEING HER. AND HOW SWEET SHE IS. AND HE SAID HE WAS SITTING BY YOU ANDY WHEN YOU WERE TYPING THIS BLOG. MY HEART IS SO HEAVY RIGHT NOW AND I AM FIGHTING BACK TEARS. WHEN I BABYSAT YOU AND STEVE I THINK BACK OF THE TIME WHEN YOU BOTH WERE MAGGIE'S AGE. IT IS, TO ME THE MOST TENDER AND FUN YEAR OF A CHILD'S LIFE. THEY ARE LEARNING AND BECOMING THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL. I KNOW MAGGIE IS STRONG AND HAS HER OWN LITTLE PERSONALITY. UNCLE JIM EXPLAINED HOW MAGGIE IS HOOKED UP TO ALOT OF TUBES, WIRES, AND ETC. I KNOW THAT THINGS HAS TO BE THIS WAY FOR HER TO GET BETTER...BUT AS YOU SAY ANDY...IT IS A NASTY SITUATION NOW. NEVER FORGET HOW MUCH I CARE FOR ALL THREE OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES AND HOW STRONG MY PRAYERS ARE FOR YOUR ADORABLE LITTLE MAGGIE TO START HEALING QUICKLY FROM THIS PNEUMONIA. AND PRAYERS TO WHITNEY AND YOU ANDY TO STAY STRONG AND BE ABLE TO HANDLE WHAT GOD HAS PUT BEFORE YOU BOTH. REMEMBER THAT GOD IS "OUR PROVIDER" AND HE WILL PROVIDE WHEN NEEDED...NEVER STOP BELIEVING. HUGS TO ALL OF YOU AND MUCH LOVE!!! TINA, BILL, BROCK, FAMILY, FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS.

Rachel said...

We are sending you our prayers, love, and strength, Rachel (and Sam)

Nicki said...

Constantly checking for updates. Praying and sending positive thoughts for Maggie and all of you.

Unknown said...

We continue to pray and believe that she and both of you will get through this terrible trial. God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you today...We love you!!
Love,
Nat and Andy

Kendra George said...

We are broken to hear all you are going through with little Maggie, we have been lifting you all up in prayer. We are keeping updated by your blog, we see such a strength in you and your writing. Through God ALL things are possible. She is so sweet, we love that picture of you three by the tree, I'm guessing that was at Christmas. Love you guys, praying hard for Maggie!

Sandy Daron said...

I will pray that God will restore Maggie and that she will be able to get off of the oscillator.

I pray that God will give you peace and comfort.

Love ya!!
C.O.L.E.'s Foundation
(Caring Openly, Loving Eternally)
www.colesfoundation.com
Email: sandy@colesfoundation.com
24/7 Prayer Line 888-365-COLE (2653)

Sandy Daron

Anonymous said...

Oh Whitney. I didn't know that your little girl was sick until today. The blog is a great idea. I will be praying for you all as you go through this day. May God give you and Andy loads of strength, and may He also touch your little girl's body and make her whole and healthy. Melissa (Swartz) Nafziger

Anonymous said...

Andy and Whitney
I have been following and praying for your family since Maggie's diagnosis. I will continue to lift her health up to our dear Heavenly Father. May God's peace find you and Andy today.
Yadira Miller (sister-in-law to Jessica Shrock)