Thursday, May 6, 2010

Guess what?



Towards the end of last week and during the first part of this week, the doctors' goals were to keep Maggie stable and to make some changes in anticipation of someday going home. For instance, they wanted to find a schedule and dose of diuretics that would 1)allow us to administer the meds easily from home, 2) keep her from retaining fluids, and 3) not risk her becoming dehydrated. Also, they have been following up on tests (repeat EKG and Echocardiogram for her heart) and investigating her acid reflux. Maggie's respiratory rate had been a bit increased, so they started exploring causes of that as well. In the meantime, they started calling Maggie's doctors in Dayton, arranging for a pulmonary specialist from Cincinnati to be assigned to Maggie's care for the long-term, preparing take-home-ready oxygen tanks and pumps, feeding pumps, oxygen saturation monitors, etc.

As the week progressed, Maggie has shown some good signs. In the last 2 days her oxygen requirement has not only been stable, but gone down (her lungs made a step in the right direction). Her respiratory rate has gotten a bit closer to normal. Her overnight desaturation episodes seem to be less of an issue. She will continue on an anti-fungal medicine, a heavy duty anti-viral, 2 diuretics, several stomach medicines, and a potassium supplement. But all of the goals for the week are going quite well.

Maggie continues to impress medical folks who come to see her. Those who saw her at different stages of her recent illness (or those who just read the records) are very, very happy to see how she looks. All said, we are extremely blessed. We paid a visit to the PICU tonight to see some of our nurses and doctors. We couldn't have been happier to get to show Maggie to everyone who helped her so much. In time, we'll visit the ICU in Dayton, too.

From a cancer perspective, her blood counts have been normal (now 11 weeks post chemo). We can now get back to the often challenging stage of being off of treatment. I am sure we can post more about that at another time. Maggie's lung injury will also require us to make some changes that will be tough--significant isolation from people, public places, and any place where she could catch a cold or respiratory illness of any kind. Her lungs, though improving, are going to be fragile for a while.

Wearing daddy's shoes.

Enjoying her first bath in months.

Showing off her lotion while getting a waterless hairwash.

One last hurrah with her old shoes--she has grown out of her clothes and shoes since being in the hospital.

So we are leaving the good (amazing doctors and nurses who have become like family, the fancy hospital bed, room service) and the bad (beeping monitors, medical crises, interrupted nights, make-shift recliner/bed-for-two) of the hospital so that someone else can use our room. They can have it, cause we're going home.

After I finish this post we'll get ready for bed, hopefully get some sleep, get through a work day tomorrow (Friday), and then hit the road and head to Dayton.

We'll have more reflections, more pictures, and a lot more thank-yous in the coming week or so. Until then, thank you for your amazing support.

God's blessings to you all.

55 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is amazing news! Maggie has come so far - I know she has a long road ahead with her recovery of her lungs, and you too mom & dad but going home will be an awesome thing for all of you! Continued prayers to be sent to little Maggie!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! We have a big God!! My girls and I are in tears over these pictures and the thought of her going home today! Praise Juesus!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!!!!!!

Gwen Ernst said...

Wooooohooooo! (That's me cheering)!!! Praise the Lord! I am so happy for you guys and rejoicing that you are coming home with your precious daughter! Will be praying that the transition goes smoothly and that Maggie only gets stronger and stronger. Love you guys much.

Anonymous said...

HOORAY!!!! This is wonderful news - the very best way to start my day that I can think of! God is so good! I'm so glad you are getting to go home - hope that your lilacs are still blooming. The pictures are precious and definitely Maggie's personality shows. We will continue to pray for Maggie's complete recovery and pray that all goes exactly as it needs to at home - no more bumps of any kind. Love and continuing prayers for all of you from Cousin Carol in Florida

Anonymous said...

So happy for you! God IS good!

Anonymous said...

What a strong little girl...and what an inspiration!! So happy for you all! Continued prayers for maggie at home :)

~mz

Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!! What a way to start the day. I just sat and looked and looked at the pictures and said thank you God, thank you God. Shall continue to pray for speedy recovery for lungs and all else that needs recovering. Love from Cousin Ruth Ann in Florida.

Anonymous said...

So, so, sooooooooooooo HAPPY for all of you!!!! There's nothing like the comforts of home! Thanking God and still praying that Maggie's health will continue to progress and that her lungs will be fully healed!
Love you,
love,
deborah

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! Hopefully you will be headed home soon. I know the isolation will be tough as we lived like that for the past several months and are just recenetly getting Katie-Belle out more. It sure beats hospital life though! Praying for a smooth transition.
Karen Cooley

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! That is TERRIFIC news!!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I am so happy for you guys. I praise God for what He has done in and through Maggie! I feel like I know you guys and look forward to the day that we can meet. We will continue to lift you up in prayer.
God bless all of you.
Bruce (Chatt.,TN)

Anonymous said...

I am just bursting with happiness for the three of you! So many people have been praying for Maggie to recover and those prayers have been answered. You must be so excited to be able to go home. Even though you still have meds and whatnot to deal with, to see Maggie sitting up and smiling (oh, and those "shades"!) is such a great reward for a minute of prayer. Many prayers will continue.

Debbie said...

Thank you God for this continuing miracle!

I'm so happy you get to go home! I know that will be wonderful for all of you!

Debbie M.

Anonymous said...

It made my day to hear Maggie gets to go home! God is good :) Even though we've never met & I only know you by reading the blog, Maggie & your family have come to have a special place in my heart. Will keep praying for her healing...

mommathieszen said...

Wow, wow, wow. We serve an amazing God who can do such amazing things!!! Praise Him and ENJOY the comforts of HOME!!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to read your most recent post & hearing that you're headed home! Maggie looks absolutely darling & in the 10 days since you last posted pictures... wow, what an amazing difference! We are Praising the Lord & will continue to pray for Maggie's total healing... she is such an inspiration & one touch cookie :-) ...God is good!! God Bless you all, The Moores

Kelli said...

Yay yay yay!! So excited for you guys, and definitely still praying.

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. Our God is GREAT. wHAT A PRAISE. Will continue to pray.
Bonnie in Missouri

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU JESUS, THANK YOU JESUS, THANK YOU JESUS!!! I am so thrilled for this wonderful news, another step closer to full recovery. We have a wonderful God and Maggie has wonderful parents. I will continue to pray for all of you and continue to thank God for what he has done and what he is continuing to do. Enjoy your home and life as it starts to get back to "normal". Isolation will be difficult but God got you through the worst and He will continue to be with you and get you through this. I look forward with anticipation to hear that Maggie is whole and you are all restored to good health and physical, mental and spiritual restoration. Thank you for sharing Maggie's story, the bad, the good and the triumphant. May God continue to bless you! Love in Christ, RoseAnn in NY

Anonymous said...

Yahoo! Going Home what a great way to start the week-end. You all are courageous warriors and my prayer is a blessed journey home and a much needed respite. God's Peace, Shelly r

Anonymous said...

Well, that was enough to completely make my day and weekend!!! Little Princess is about to go home. Great work Maggie and Mommy and Daddy, now go home and relax! Thanks to God for answering our prayers.

Jo-Anne said...

Hooray! Way to go Maggie! and mom and dad :o) That's so exciting getting to go home. You look absolutely adorable. We just love your little smile and can't wait to see more. Hooray!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you guys!! I hope to GOD Maggie continues to do well. Now take that little sweetie home & spoil her rotten.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!!!! I shared tears of happiness!!!!!!! God is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Betty

~Tina Miler~ said...

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYY FOR MAGGIE!!! :)

THANK YOU DEAR GOD FOR BEING WITH THIS PRECIOUS FAMILY THROUGH THICK AND THIN AND ESPECIALLY MAGGIE. AS I TYPE THIS I CANNOT STOP THE TEARS OF JOY. YOU NEVER SEIZE TO AMAZE ME DEAR LORD WITH YOUR STRENGTH AND HEALING. THIS IS GREAT NEWS...I WILL HAVE A MUCH BETTER AND PEACEFUL WEEKEND WITH THIS WONDERFUL NEWS!!! :)

DEAR LORD...PLEASE CONTINUE TO BE WITH MAGGIE AS SHE RECOVERS AT HOME. AND BE WITH ANDY AND WHITNEY AS THEY ONLY BECOME STRONGER AND HELP THEM TO.....
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~RELAX & ENJOY ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MAY GOD BLESS ALL THREE OF YOU!!!PLEASE GET SOME GOOD PEACEFUL REST AND BONDING TIME AS WELL.

WARM HUGS TO YOU ALL. :)

LOVE, TINA, BILL AND BROCK

~Tina Miller~ said...

I FORGOT TO MENTION...

THE PICTURES ARE SO VERY, VERY, VERY, CUTE!

I LOVE THE ONE WITH HER IN THE SUNGLASSES...MAGGIE IS A REAL *******STAR******* AND MAY SHE ONLY CONTINUE TO HEAL AND GET BETTER!

TAKE GREAT CARE AND YES I AGREE, SPOIL HER ROTTEN AS THEY SAY AND GIVE HER THE BIGGEST KISS AND HUG THAT YOU CAN FOR ME!!!

LOVE, TINA M.

Unknown said...

In a week of good news (for me) this is the best! Lots of love to all three of you.

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!!

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis

Michele said...

What wonderful news!! Love the pictures!! Hope you all enjoy the comforts of home!!

Jack & Michele Collins
Sarasota, Fl

Anonymous said...

Awesome news - way to go Maggie, Mommy & Daddy! Maggie looks wonderful in the pictures and we know she will enjoy the comforts of home! Oh, we are so happy for you guys. Wishing you all the best,
Jason, Sara & Nan

Anonymous said...

Praise Be!!!!! Miracles do exist! God bless you all and enjoy being back in your own home after your long nightmare.

Anonymous said...

Oh Whitney, what a Mother's Day gift! And what a testimony you have! Think of all the patients who will take heart and expect their miracle too. They will hold on one more day because they have witnessed God's grace in action because they watched you. You have inspired so many people through this situation. So many have sought the throne of God that may have never prayed. So many people have realized how precious their little ones are. Just imagine how you have ministered to others even when you felt that you had nothing left to give. God bless you both and God bless little Maggie! We continue to pray for health and recovery...and God will come through!

Jen said...

Praise God! We are so happy for Maggie and your family!

Kristen Hurley said...

I am so happy to hear this. Congrats to the family and I will continue to pray as you transition home. Praise God!

Lydia said...

Maggie looks so beautiful and HAPPY!!! Thank God Maggie is able to go home again. I am so happy for your family. Enjoy Mother's day Whitney:) All my love to you.
Lydia

Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD FOR HE IS THE KING
I WILL FOREVER REMEMBER THIS AMAZING FAMILY THAT HAS BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH AND OUR AMAZING GOD
WHO HEARD OUR PRAYERS AND NOW THEY ARE TAKING SWEET MAGGIE HOME. WE WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR A COMPLETE HEALING AND WILL LOOK FORWARD TO SEE LOTS OF PICTURES IN THE FUTURE. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS JOURNEY WITH US. THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS MIRACLE AND PLEASE
CONTINUE TO HEAL MAGGIE.
LOVE FROM TENNESSEE

Jodi P. said...

Praise the Lord! I am so happy for your family. Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures of Maggie. What a blessing she is. And Happy Mother's Day, Whitney. What a great gift for you.

Jodi P. (Apple Creek, OH)

Anonymous said...

What a great testimony Maggie now has for the Lord! Enjoy your little girl and YOUR OWN BED! =)
-Beka =)

Anonymous said...

What an Awesome God we serve! I am so happy for all three of you! I am praying for a smooth transition and continued healing for Maggie! She is such a miracle! Keep fighting Maggie!

Love,
Bethany

Melissa said...

Absolutely amazing! What a fighter Maggie is! I can't imagine how ready you all must be to get home. I hope the transition goes smoothly. So happy for you all. Keep up the good work Maggie, and you two as well. I don't know how you got through the last 9+ weeks--you all amaze me! Hoping the next post comes from HOME! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I read this late tonight!!! Yeah! I can't wait to hear that you are home! I miss you guys! xoxo Jess

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Mothers Day gift for you. The Good Lord was with you all the time. My prayers will continue each and everyday.
Hugs and kisses to Maggie.

Shelly said...

How can I keep from singing?
How can I keep from praying?
We love you, Maggie; Jesus just keeps shining through you!

susan DiGiorgio said...

Andy and Whitney,
I could not be happier for you as you leave the hospital and head north on 75 to your home! I hope that you will be able to be a bit more comfortable and enjoy this amazing little girl who has brought so many people together to think abit outside of their lives and their own problems to offer up their hopes for Maggie's recovery!
GOD is good!
Please take good care of yourselves and try to get some rest. I am cheering and tearing all at the same time!
God bless you all!
Susan DiGiorgio

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on going home!! That is great news. I love the pictures she is adorable.

The Barnett Family said...

So great. What a haul! That little girl will enjoy her Mother's Day with her best mommy ever. At home.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day present. I cannot even imagine how happy you are, your faith and determination not to leave the hospital without her has led to this day!
May you have much joy and peace this weekend,
Stacey, Tomas, Ben and Emily

Anonymous said...

Thank you my Savior. There is so so much here to be thankful for and we praise you Jesus for your miraculous healing and love. Enjoy your beautiful maggie, and have a wonderful mother's day.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day.....and every day from here on out!! Maggie is home....
T.

kensingtonlawyer said...

Dear Whitney,
I just wanted to write you a quick note to say Happy Mother's Day. For so many, that day and title are rather taken for granted, but for you Whitney, I know you cherish every moment with your precious girl. What an amazing mom and inspiration to us all you are! Enjoy the time spent at home with sweet Maggie.

Always thinking of and praying for you.

Love,
Monica Miyashita, Mama to ^Lydia^ and Max
Orrville, OH

Anonymous said...

So glad prayers were answered and she's doing well enough to come home!! I'm sure your Mother's Day was extra special this year!!! Praying that each day keeps getting better and better...enjoy being home with her!!!

Dri said...

Praise God! I am so happy for you guys!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sight to see Maggie look so much better in these pictures! When you look into her eyes she looks like a wise old soul. She's been through more in her short little life than most of us will ever go through in a a whole lifetime. God has kept her here for a purpose and those eyes say it all. She will go on to teach others about what she's been through. What a trooper she is! I think about her and pray for her every day. And you two are such wonderful parents. Thank the Good Lord up Above for you being able to go home too! God bless all 3 of you and thank you for keeping us posted on her progress!

Abbe said...

thanks be to god! enjoy being at home!!