Monday, May 10, 2010

Reunions

We successfully made it home Friday evening; it was a very exciting time for us. As Maggie was on the ventilator for so long (43 days) we often wondered what she'd remember from before her illness. What would be the effect of being unconscious for over a month? Well, the car ride home was a little bit harder to enjoy than we had envisioned--our car was packed to the roof with all of our things. But as we got closer and closer to our home, Maggie started getting excited to see our neighbors' dogs running around outside. It was all she could talk about. We were happy to know that the things that used to make her excited....still made her excited.

She has transitioned well to being at home. She is crawling a little bit, but is mostly staying where we put her. She is enjoying her old toys (some new ones) and the sights and sounds of the Backyardigans. Things are good.

The course of the recovery of Maggie's lung injury was impossible to predict. The specialists all said that it could take a long time. I'm sure it will be a while until her lungs are fully recovered. One of the pulmonologists predicted one of the things that we would see is a sudden stretch of dramatic recovery. It was just a question of when. Well, that has happened. Maggie went most of the weekend and the first part of this week without any oxygen support. We have given her a little bit of help when she sleeps, but she has made some big strides. The lung recovery will be ongoing, despite the progress. Maggie's appetite is minimal, but she is off of TPN entirely and is still tolerating the very gradual increases of her tube feeds. We are hopeful that the worst of Maggie's chronic GI issues are behind us. The other issue that we are seeing is that Maggie is struggling with a sore foot. She injured it shortly before we were discharged last week. She won't put much weight on it, and as a result, she hasn't had the time to work much on her leg strength. We hope that she gets over it soon. Today she had a weird day--she seemed scared easily and a little bit insecure with her surroundings. We'll figure it out, I'm sure.

It was an exciting day for us today as we saw Dr. French and his staff at the Hem/Onc clinic at Dayton Children's. We did a little bit of catching them all up on Maggie's last few months, made some plans for the near future, and we had a celebration. Maggie got certificates, a cake, a gift (baby doll), and best of all, she got serenaded by the nurses: "No more chemo for you, no more chemo for you, no more chemo for Maggie, no more chemo for you!" It was a song that we had heard once or twice in the clinic when other children reach the end of treatment, and we've looked forward to it more than anyone could imagine. Everyone was thrilled to see Maggie, and they all thought that she looked good. Following our visit there, we made a quick stop in Dayton's ICU to complete a promise that I had made when she was being wheeled out to go to Cincinnati: we will bring Maggie back to visit with you, and soon. It was an emotional reunion there, too. We have just received amazing care over the past few months and so many people are excited to see her doing so well. Dr. Joshi was able to see her (he was the attending intensivist who spent the most time with us in Dayton) and we had hugs for him. We also saw, among others, the rest of the team that transitioned Maggie to Cincinnati: Andrea, our nurse for the difficult last day in Dayton, and Brian, the respiratory therapist who was one of the kind souls who rode in the ambulance with her. We are so grateful for the hundreds of people who helped Maggie get through the most unbelievable and horrifying illness. We hope we can reunite with them all in time.

Until then, we pray that you all are well. Goodnight.


26 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are home at last!! It's great to hear that Maggie continues to make good progress toward complete recovery. Thanks be to God! Will continue to pray for daily improvement in strength and a quick return to normalcy for all. Cousin Carol in Lakeland

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for your going home just in time for Mother's Day. What a journey, and we realize it is not over yet. I pray that God will continue to touch little Maggie and strengthen you all. Janee

Anonymous said...

What a relief that Mom and Dad are back in their home with Maggie! We are so excited that she is doing "better" and NO MORE CHEMO! We will continue to pray for strength for the two of you and a complete miracle healing for Maggie! May she grow in leaps and bounds as her body heals and nothing is holding her back! Whoo hooo! A follower from Washington, Illinois.

Gwen Ernst said...

How exciting for you all to be home! I love that Maggie was so happy to hear the dog barking. Glad to hear of the progress made and will continue to lift Maggie up in prayer as her lungs are in the process of healing. And when I read the "no more chemo for Maggie" and envisioned the nurses singing to her, I got goosebumps. What a beautiful picture...the completion of such a difficult period of time being celebrated by her mom and dad and her faithful medical team!!! I, for one, am going to be singing (to my own tune) this song all day now. =)

Anonymous said...

this is my favorite post ever! so glad to hear you are all doing well. continued prayers for maggie!~mz

O'Briskie Family said...

i am so emotional reading your posting. i can not imagine all the joy you felt pulling up to your home, and all the emotions that flooded back to you as you reunited with the doctors that i am sure have grown to love you all. I am so happy you got to hear that song, and can not begin your ever after journey. you made it!!

Steve said...

I think that it's amazing the sort of relationships and connection that can occur in that kind of setting. Definitely sweet stuff.
Steve

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!! We continue to pray for all of you, especially little Maggie. She is a beautiful example of Christ's love to all of us.
Sue Archer

Anonymous said...

PRAISES BE TOO GOD!!!!! We are so excited that you and Maggie are Home!!! It had too be an awesome feeling as you were pulling into your driveway with your Miracle gal. We are continually keeping Maggie and both of you in our prayers. The Lord has brought you to your home and we know He is healing Maggie's lungs!! HE is the Mighty Healer!! God bless-lucy metzker

Anonymous said...

This is such an emotional post! Andy and Whitney, I am so happy for you and pray life will get back to "normal" for you! Maggie, I am so proud of you! You are such a miracle and gift from God! Praise Jesus from whom all blessings flow!

Love,
Bethany

Unknown said...

FANTASTIC!! I'm hoping I get to say that over and over to you!

~Michelle

Beth Paulick said...

I am so excited for you guys!! That is such a joy to hear :) I've been keeping you all in my prayers! I'll continue to keep prayers!

Anonymous said...

When I told Kaylea and Lexi that Maggie went home, they both screamed in delight! Our church applauded when we told them the good news. Our prayers continue for you all. We love you!

Zeke, Shanda and the girls

Debbie said...

This is such a joyful post! It's great that you were able to have these reunions and this "no more chemo" celebration. The path has been long and though it's not totally complete, you're well on your way. I praise God for bringing you this far and have confidence that he'll see you the rest of the way through!

Debbie M.

Anonymous said...

This post brought such tears of JOY and Thanksgiving for the long journey you have been on, while not over, looks so much better from the vantage point of HOME! Yea Maggie! You are God's miracle and your parents are my heroes!
Love from Dalton

Anonymous said...

This may be my last post to a wonderful family that I have never met...Your amazing journey has touched me,your daughter is truly a gift from God, as is her recovery. I hope someday in the future, to ask our mutual friend how Maggie is doing...and she will tell me, " Maggie is starting kindergarten....Maggie will be in the 6th grade this year....Maggie is graduating High school...Maggie is wonderful.....
Good Luck and God Bless.
T.

Anonymous said...

I am so amazed. I hope we will be able to see each other soon! Welcome home!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis

Anonymous said...

We serve an awesome God and Praise Him for this wonderful Homecoming.
So Thankful that you are Home and Our Lord as we speak is still healing sweet Maggie.
will continue to pray for a Complete Healing and will continue to Thank Jesus for all that he has done.
With Love and Prayers from Tennessee

Norm % Kathy Gerber said...

We are so happy that you are all home. As the flowers of spring and summer bloom, we continue to pray and look forward to seeing Maggie "bloom" and grow into a happy 2 year old.

Lauren and Matt said...

I am so incredibly happy that you are all finally home, and doing well. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I hope Maggie's lungs continue to improve and that she's back to her normal self very quickly.

susandigiorgio@hotmail.com said...

Welcome Home!
I couldn't be happier to hear that you all got to have the end of chemo party! What a day to celebrate. Keep growing strong, Maggie!
Love,
The DiGiorgio's

Anonymous said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS. I KNOW GETTING HOME MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN RECOVERY. I HOPE MAGGIE CONTINUES TO GET STRONGER AND TO TOLERATE HER FEEDS. I HOPE HER FOOT GETS BETTER SOON TOO SO SHE CAN GET UP AND START MOVING SOON.
KAREN COOLEY

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see that Maggie is home. What wonderful news.

Best,
Delanie Isaacs

Shelly said...

Maggie,
Welcome home!
Rejoicing, praising, and forever praying with you.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Maggie!