So, Maggie hasn't been feeling real well all weekend--Whitney and I have agreed that this combination of chemo drugs (4 drugs, 8 total doses plus the chemo that they insert into her spinal fluid) over 4 days has been the most potent for Maggie. Last time we had these (the week of Maggie's diagnosis) she had mouth sores that cost us 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital and a lot of morphine.
This morning, after a night which Maggie moaned through at times, her temperature was in the mid 99 range. She wasn't smiling. We had been expecting to be discharged early today but we were worried that she wasn't herself. Her temperature kept creeping up to 100.8 or so by early afternoon, close enough to an official fever (the hospital considers a temp of 38.3 C, or 101 F to be a fever). So they drew blood cultures, started her on antibiotics and we are here, it would seem, for another couple days. She threw up a couple of times, has slept quite a bit, and has continued to cling to Whitney. So we are frustrated to be here still, but comfortable knowing that we won't have to go home only to rush back in the middle of the night as we've done before.
This weekend brought reminders of how strong our family is. It would amaze you if you saw the nurses come into the room to give Maggie her chemo. They wear a mask, eye goggles, gloves, and a big blue plastic robe anytime they handle the chemo. It's too toxic to be casual, after all. Kind of suggests how serious these drugs are. Of course they go into Maggie's body with the task of killing cells. She gets no goggles or gloves, that is for sure. I'm still affected by that sight every time. Maggie is so very strong and resilient. I'm extremely proud of her.
And Whitney's amazing, too. Hour after hour she is at Maggie's side. When Maggie doesn't feel well, or is uncomfortable with all of the medical personnel or her surroundings, she clings to her mother. I can't imagine a more loyal and loving display than what Whitney does on a daily basis. Of course any free moment that she has during the day is spent working, either from here or away. It's not uncommon to see Maggie clinging to Whitney taking a nap, and Whitney is typing away, reading to prepare for her teaching, or making a phone call. She never gets to let up.
Anyways, these ladies are amazing. More later.
5 comments:
Thanks, Andy, for this tribute to the ladies in your life. All merited!
I have been so pleased when friend Nan who visited you in the hospital said, "Maggie looks like you, Phyllis." As I would like to believe that the Bixler family has contributed some of Maggie's resilience in the face of these chemical onslaughts.
But clearly, Maggie gets much of her perseverance and toughness from her mother Whitney as well.
They are both heroes! Andy, you are too.
Love and prayers.
Great Aunt Phyllis
I HOPE THAT MAGGIE WILL BE FEELING BETTER SOON. I KNOW HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO TRY TO COMFORT THEM WHEN THEY ARE IN A CONSTANT MISERY STATE. EVEN THOUGH KATIE-BELLE IS JUST ON DEXAMETHASONE THIS WEEK, IT HAS MADE HER CONSTANTLY MISERABLE AND THUS WHOEVER IS WITH HER MISERABLE WITH THE UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPTS TO BRING HER SOME COMFORT. THESE DAYS WILL BE GONE SOONER THAN YOU THINK THOUGH. I AM GLAD THAT MAGGIE IS IN REMISSION. THE PRESENCE OF BLASTS FREAKED ME OUT TO AT FIRST UNTIL THEY EXPLAINED THAT NOT ALL BLASTS INDICATE LEUKEMIA JUST IMMATURE CELLS. YOU SHOULDN'T BE AFRAID TO PUT YOUR FEELINGS OUT THERE ON MAGGIE'S PAGE. I AM SURE THAT SHE DOESN'T MIND SHARING AND IT WILL HELP YOU TO GET IT ALL OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM SO YOU CAN BETTER CARE FOR HER.
LOVE, THE COOLEYS
I have to agree with you Andy, both your ladies are awesome. Maggie is such a trooper, and Whitney is the ultimate supportive Mom. I would have to add some props for you, too, though. You're there all the time supporting your ladies. I find your family such an inspiration every day.
Nora
You guys are doing this so well! Keep it up and keep loving each other through every moment! We are praying!
Love~ The Footes :)
Just wanted to let you guys know you are in our prayers. It's exciting to know she is remission already. I pray God continues to give you and Maggie strength to persevere. ~Meredith
Post a Comment