Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wait/Weight

I again apologize for the delay in posting.  During the last week and a half we have experienced steroids and visited the clinic/hospital 4 times.  All is well-- no worries, mainly blood count check-ups.  

Maggie on steroids this time around was A LOT better.  We were preparing for the worst and were pleasantly surprised.  Maggie didn't moan and cry the entire time, rather she remained her happy self with a few bouts of angry screaming once and awhile.  We wised up this time and gave Maggie a double dose of antacid medicine (Thanks to Karen Cooley!), as we think last month she was having reflux, which caused her some discomfort.  We also have gotten Maggie to eat some solid foods finally.  Her favorites consist of ice cream, pudding, pretzels, dill dip, ranch dip (she enjoys dipping french fries and potato chips) and baby food peaches.  Her belly being full I also think help this time around.  

The one area that was affected and still remains affected is her sleeping patterns.  Maggie stopped taking naps New Year's Day and began taking them again on Monday.  Maggie still continues to want to nurse throughout her naps and during the night.  Several nights this week she has nursed basically through the night, last night specifically waking up about every 20-30 minutes.  I guess if I have to sacrifice sleep in order to have my happy baby, I will do so.  But I will be honest, I'm ready to wean Maggie to whole milk so that I might begin sleeping once again. Maggie turned 15 months today, so I really haven't slept through the night in 15 months and the last 6 months I think I've averaged about 4-5 hours a night (and that's a good night).  

Throughout the last week we have been visiting the clinic to get Maggie's platelet count checked.  It has gradually been getting lower.  Today we went in planning to get an infusion of low dose Methotrexate and and IVIG (an immune supporting antibody).  In order to get LD Methotrexate, Maggie's counts had to be at a certain number, specifically her platelets and ANC.  Her ANC was at 3,500 (over 90% of her white count consisted of her ANC) and her platelets were 15,000.  In order to start chemo, her platelets needed to be at 75,000.  So, we were postponed.  Instead, Maggie received "the works."  She received an IVIG, platelet, and blood 
transfusion.  We ended up being in the clinic 6 1/2 hours waiting for all of Maggie's transfusions to be completed.  

The final little surprise and reason for the title of this post, was Maggie's weight.  On Monday when we were in the clinic, Maggie weighed 21 lbs. 4 oz.  Today, 3 days later, Maggie weighed 22 lbs. 4 oz.  Maggie gained a whole pound!  This is exciting because of all the problems we have had in Maggie's food intake and little weight gain.  I guess the pudding and ice cream are doing the trick.  Hopefully she will continue to become more interested in different types of food, preferably healthy ones.  

Our plans for the future consist of going back into the clinic Monday to determine if Maggie's counts are high enough that she might receive chemo.  Until then, we will wait for her platelets to begin rejuvenating.  Continue to pray that Maggie will not get any infections or side effects to the weekly chemo treatments.    

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the waiting you've been doing - I hate to wait, too!

But wonderful news about the weight gain! And the more even disposition. As an asthmatic I spend a fair amount of time on steroids, though not near as strong as Maggie's, and it's not fun. I'm glad you're able to see it through her eyes.

You're such good and loving parents! I know God will continue to give you the strength and stamina you need, along with Maggie's improvements, as you go through this process.

Love you all. Debbie M.

Gwen Ernst said...

Thanks for the update on little Maggie. I can hardly wait to meet her next week if everyone stays healthy. Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey Whitney,
Miss you! I walked by your office today and it looked like you have been there...hope to see you soon. Maggie sounds like she is getting a taste of the good life with foods :) Let me know if you need anything with weening...I just did one bottle of milk everyday for a week and then increased...but I know she's not a fan of the bottle so maybe a 'big girl' cup. I just bought Jay 'Mr Brown's BPA free cup' he loves it. I'm glad her steriods haven't gotten her too upset this time. We miss you guys, hang in there. Jess and Paul

Anonymous said...

Whitney,
I am glad that Maggie is feeling better.

We continue to pray for her and all of you.

Love, Stephanie L.