Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Feeding tube redo

Just a really quick update.  Unfortunately around 6:00 am this morning, Maggie pulled her feeding tube from her nose.  I think it was an accident as she was sleeping on her belly and rubbing her nose.  So, as we speak, Andy has taken Maggie back to the hospital to have another NG tube inserted into her stomach.  It was so traumatic for her last time that I only pray that the procedure will go quickly and she will return to her happy self again.  

Maggie has been doing very well, talking and crawling from room to room.  Not to say that she still isn't needy and wanting to be held all the time, but she is venturing out and discovering her independence, which is a clear sign that she is feeling better.  Her sleep is getting a little better.  She will go about 3 hours when she first goes to sleep and then every 1-2 hours after that.  That 3 hours is a lot better than what we've had.  On Saturday, before Easter, Maggie slept for 5 hours and then another 3-4 hours after that.  Her feeding pump beeped 2 time during her sleep, but it didn't wake her.  It was wonderful to be able to sleep a little-- our own little Easter miracle.  

Though the doctors, nurses, and psychologist are telling us that we need to allow Maggie to cry to sleep and self-soothe, I do not agree with it.  After much discussion with Andy and attending a Le Leche meeting, we have decided that we will do what works for us and if that means that Maggie wants to nurse to sleep, we will do so.  We will continue to revisit the issue, but I want to do what's best for Maggie and if it's comfort that she needs every hour of the night, then that's what I'm going to give her.  

Thank you for your continued prayers.  Please pray that this feeding tube will remain in Maggie and that she will want to eat on her own.  We are still struggling with her food interest and intake.  I would really like to see her take in food because it sounds like this feeding tube will remain in her until she is able to maintain her weight.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter!
Glad to read that you've had a little relief on the sleep front...that has to be so nice at this point.
I so agree (not that you need anyone to agree with you) with your choice of soothing Maggie. I also believe that when they're babies and they can't explain what it is they're really feeling and if comfort is what they want, then so be it. I know if I weren't feeling well, I would definitely want to be comforted! Yeah for the weight gain too!
Always keeping all three of you in our daily prayers. Peace & comfort to all of you!
deborah, hayden & hudson

Brian Snyder said...

Glad to hear things are improving a bit for Maggie. I have to agree as well that doctors and nurses have opinions but ultimately you are the parent and have to decide what is best for your child. You are in our prayers! ~Meredith and family

Free Rein Art Studio said...

I go to church with your mom and dad. I have been praying for you and Maggie for several months now. I also want to say I agree with your decision (knowing you don't need my agreement either! :) My h is a pediatrician and he was always behind my belief not to let our kids 'cry it out' when they were little. I nursed on demand and brought them to bed when they were sick. Its possible you could of just as easily gotten a group of docs to go the other way with their advise. So glad you went with your gut. Praying for more weight gain and restful nights!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry the feeding tube had to be reinserted.

As for your decision about how to handle Maggie's (and your) sleeping difficulties, none of us standing outside of your situation, in my opinion, has the right to second-guess you. None of us knows what's best for all three of you like you do.

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis

Shelly said...

I appreciate you sharing that you have received a little more sleep. I have earnestly been praying for that to happen for all of you. I also want to thank you and applaude you for recognizing that there is only one Maggie and there is no one-size-fits-all strategy to sooth her. Maggie is most fortunate to have your wisdom. Shelly