Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Clinic

I called into the clinic this morning again to explain Maggie's symptoms of diarrhea and difficulty breathing. I think finally I got through to them when I shared over 13+ stools and she was breathing very fast. I would compare Maggie's breathing to a person who had just run a race. Thankfully she told us we should come in and so we went in around 10:15 am.

After describing the side effects, they ordered Maggie's labs to be drawn as well as an x-ray on her belly. They determined that Maggie's breathing difficulties are due to her distended belly. The x-ray showed a lot of air in Maggie's belly as well as some solid stool (we have yet to see either). Maggie's labs showed that her potassium was down to 2.1, the lowest Maggie has ever been (3.7 and above is normal). Maggie's bi-carb, another description of her hydration was at 10.9 (normal is between 20-27). This would be considered dehydration, however she had 6 wet diapers before she was given fluids. The nurse explained to me that due to Maggie's breathing difficulties she most likely was not expelling the CO2 well enough, therefore, the low number. Dr. French explained it was all related to her diarrhea (obviously).

So, finally we got Maggie hooked up to fluids, 2 hours of a potassium bollus and 2 hours of rehydration fluids. I asked Dr. French whether Maggie's potassium dropped throughout the course of the week of steroids or during her 13 episodes the previous day, he said most likely the previous day. I then politely explained that I had tried to bring Maggie in on Monday, but was denied. Whatever the reason, she needed to be seen and I am glad that we were able to at least replenish her electrolytes some.

Dr. French is to the point where he is getting pretty frustrated with the diarrhea situation. He came into our clinic room tonight, after being there for 8 hours, and came up with a "game plan." He is taking her off her of appetite stimulant, Megase- this a possible diarrhea inducer. He has also said that once Maggie has one liquid stool to give her 5 ml of Immodium every 3 hours until it stops. If it doesn't stop, that evening we will be giving her an antibiotic that will hopefully stop the diarrhea. If this still doesn't stop it, Maggie will have to come into the clinic to get a shot, and then I will take home the remaining 3 or so shots to continue to give her. This is the routine that they use for kids that take an actual chemo drug that causes diarrhea. We have already begun this new regime as Maggie has had 4 diarrhea stools since coming home from the clinic. Ironically so, she didn't have one stool while there (they wanted to collect a sample which we then had to do at home). Diarrhea is our life so I can't imagine that we won't be going to stage 3 of this regime often.

One other piece to our new plan is that Maggie is not allowed to drink milk or juice, or eat raw fruits or vegetables. They want to do anything possible to not aggrivate the diarrhea further.

As for the Cincinnati Children's GI specialist. A wonderful nurse at Dayton has already made a call to the specialists and has said she will be "whining" to them to get Maggie in sooner. She is a wonderful woman who actually attends the church that we've been going to in Dayton since we moved here. Hopefully she'll be able to make a difference and we can get Maggie in sooner than the end of October. Dr. French is adament that the chemo is not causing this diarrhea. He has never seen a child suffer like this before.

Maggie will go in for labs tomorrow morning to see whether her levels have come back up. Please pray that they will be within the normal range and that Maggie's diarrhea will go away completely.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

A plan is a wonderful thing; you have something positive to do! It seems God is using this doctor and this nurse for all of you. Thanks for updating and for sharing the plans to give directions to our prayers.

Debbie

kensingtonlawyer said...

Good lord! I just can't imagine all this, and that the clinic wouldn't see her. Good for you Whitney for being insistent on things, and standing your ground that Maggie needs help and that someting must be done! I think they are FINALLY seeming to agree with you on this...praise God!
Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers,

Love,
The Miyashitas
Mark Monica Max and Angel Lydia

Anonymous said...

Yes, finally someone trusts parents' awareness that a situation is serious and needs further attention.

Regarding the Cinncinati doctor, do they have a waiting list for cancellations by others? Sounds like you have some people going to bat for you there in Dayton, though.

Keep us informed.

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy and Whitney,
This just breaks my heart. I am so sorry you all are having to endure this nightmare. I can't even imagine how tired you are. I'd love to help out if you'd like. I can bring you guys some dinner and I'd be happy to pick up some detergent from Sams. Just call or send me an email. We miss you both. Jess