Monday, April 19, 2010

End of Treatment

Monday brought a rough start to the week for us. We awoke early this morning to a nurse telling us Maggie had an ultrasound, but nobody knew why. We then were told a bit later that they had to redraw Maggie's labs because they looked "funny" this morning. You never want to hear that word. According to her 4:00am labs her white count was 800 and ANC 0. Yesterday her white count was 7,000 and ANC 5,000. No cancer parent ever wants to hear something like that. We prayed and were sick for an hour before the results came back similar to yesterday. Thankfully it was a faulty lab draw and Maggie continues to be in remission. This morning was a reminder to us that we are easily shaken with the talk of the "R" word.

Maggie has begun getting "end of treatment" tests. That's right, Maggie is finished with chemotherapy. We read of another little girl in Maggie's similar situation who ended treatment a month early after having pneumonia, but of course had no idea at the time that we would be walking in similar footsteps. The head doctor of oncology at Cincinnati Children's does not believe that giving her 2 more months of treatment will do anything to the prognosis of the disease, and if anything it could put her at higher risk of getting sick once again.

We are very happy to be finished, though we didn't get to properly celebrate the last 6-MP dose (or as Maggie calls it, her "rit," as in favorite). Of course, I grow a little scared about ending early, but we have learned in the last 7 weeks the risk/reward scenario. We lived it more than once and we don't want to put her in that situation again. Maggie's body has definitely gotten a beating from the last 20 months of chemo, and I don't believe she would be able to take much more.

With that, Maggie received an ultrasound of her abdomen today. Her liver was what initially brought us down here (when after further study, the liver wasn't the problem, the ulcers were). On March 13, she received an ultrasound which showed her liver to be enlarged. While her liver and spleen are still a bit enlarged, they are not of any worry to the doctors. They expect that after treatment and TPN. She also received an echocardiogram today and will be getting an EKG as well. They want to see how all of Maggie's organs are doing after having 20 months of treatment.

The doctors are in the process of scheduling a care conference to bring all those involved in Maggie's care (GI, pulmonologist, oncologist, etc.) to come to the table to discuss the goals for Maggie-- goals while still here and goals to get us home. Hopefully at this conference we will have a better idea of when we might be seeing our home again. It sounds as though Maggie may remain on oxygen when going home, given how injured her lungs are. She still continues to linger on less than a liter of oxygen. She still has de-sating episodes, mainly while she is sleeping and expending energy. We will see what this week brings, though I will admit, I am itching to get home. I would like to see my lilacs this year as last year we were in the hospital as well.

Maggie continues to amaze the doctors with her strength. Just a little over a week ago she was on the ventilator and only a week ago she was unable to hold her head up and shook violently. She is making strides, and we can tell she is feeling better as she is beginning to communicate with us once again (this makes Daddy especially happy). Her voice is still weak, but it it's the cutest little thing and we just smile anytime she speaks. She is very excited to watch the television and even more so the food trays or bags of food that we bring into the room. Though she isn't eating a lot, she is picking up from where she left off.

We continue to hope to make progress this week so that we can get one step closer to going home.

21 comments:

John and Bethany said...

I'm sending prayers for home. For lilacs and a healed Maggie. Thanking God for repeated blessings for you, and for all of us.

Anonymous said...

So happy that your little Maggie is making good progress and amazing her doctors. Way to go, Maggie!

I'm sure it seems a VERY long time since you've been home. Hang on, you're almost there! Praying that everything continues to go smoothly and that SOON Maggie will be well enough to leave the hospital and you can enjoy being a family in your own home. Love & prayers from Cousin Carol

Anonymous said...

I am amazed daily. I am so thankful that she is doing so well! I would love to have you guys back in Dayton!!! We all miss you so much here! Hugs to you! Love, Jess

Debbie said...

This is wonderful news! I'll be praying that you get to go home very soon.

Debbie M.

Anonymous said...

So happy to know that you are looking at going home and there is no more chemotherapy. We have an amazing God and I know he was busy healing while Maggie was on that vent and he will continue the process. I am praying you get to see your lilacs and have a supremely special Mother's Day with your healthy happy healed daughter. Love you. Cousin Ruth Ann

Janee said...

Glad progress continues. Can't imagine the road you have all been on. I know you rejoice in every little step forward. I join in the multitude of prayers for each of you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Maggie is moving right along--continuing to pray that things continue to go well and that you're home soon (but not woo soon!).
Hugs!
Elisha

Anonymous said...

WOW! We are so excited for you three! God is so good! Praise God for healing and for Maggie's strength! She is such a miracle. I see new life everywhere during the spring and am so thankful for Maggie's life! We will be praying for your conference and getting ready to go home!

Love,
Luke and Bethany

O'Briskie Family said...

THE END OF CHEMO!!!!!!!!!! That in itself deserves a party! Just think- you have made it to the end :) As Maggie heals from this- there will be no more trips for treatments :) What a miracle. I am praying for you guys and that soon the three of you will come home and start to live the rest of our life- with a healthy miracle child! Prayers and love

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jesus for this miracle of healing, and testimony of your love and faithfulness. Maggie is a beautiful little girl,and it makes my heart overcome with joy to see the love this precious child has in her life. Thank you for sharing her journey.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's all we can say. Every night Emily prays for Maggie and I can tell her the power of prayer. Maggie truly is a miracle that has blessed us all; with hope, the power of prayer and resilience. In a world that seems so pessimistic, Maggie has shown me the true power of love to overcome all obstacles. Although I know the past year has felt more like hell at many times for all of you, you have been truly blest with a gift from God.
And it is my hope for you that you see those lilacs (if not I will find some to send to you once you return home).
Peace to all of you after a very long journey,
Stacey, Tomas, Ben and Emily

Anonymous said...

Praise Our Heavenly Father for this wonderful news. Maggie is a
wonderful, beautiful little girl!
Our Prayers will forever be for her and all the other children that have been so sick. Your a remarkable family. This is truely a miracle from God. Thank you for sharing this journey. I will forever be closer to the Father.
With Love from Tennessee

Anonymous said...

Someday I'd like my Macey to meet your Maggie...for both of them...for Maggie to know(yet another) person that prayed for her, and for Macey to know who she's been praying for all this time. God is good...I am so blessed to hear how things are going...
--Heather, Joe, and Macey Gatchell

Melissa said...

That is awesome, awesome news. Keep up the great work Maggie! Keep impressing those docs and soon you will all get to go HOME!

Anonymous said...

"Thank Heaven for Little Girls, they grow up in the most delightful way!" God Bless the three of you. Whitney, I am sending early wishes for the most memorable Mothers Day EVER! May you be showered with Lilacs!

T.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that Maggie is doing well. I figured that she would not restart chemo either. I hope that you make it home soon. I hope that Maggie will soon be feeling as good as Katie-Belle is.
Karen Cooley

Lauren and Matt said...

I am so glad to hear all the progress she is making! She is such a strong little girl. What wonderful news to be done with treatment. I have faith that all the treatment she has had thus far is enough to keep her in remission forever. Continued thoughts for you all!

Anonymous said...

I just continue to thank and praise God for His faithfulness to Maggie. We may never understand why she went through all of this but we know and can see that God is faithful! My heart is overwhelmed with joy for the 3 of you. Remember, God never lifts us up to drop us. He will continue to touch and heal Maggie and to strengthen her amazing parents. Just think how wonderful it will be to take Maggie outside and show her your Lilacs and all of God beautiful creation. I pray that someday I will be able to hear her amazing testimony from her lips when I am very old and she is a grown married mother herself!! Thank you for sharing your journey and for allowing us to see God's healing touch at work!! Love in Christ, RoseAnn from NY

Anonymous said...

So glad Maggie can continue to heal, grow, develop without more chemotherapy!!! I hope all the strength she has shown during the past crises gives you confidence about the future.

Hope for increasing strength and health for you all.

Eager to make a trip your way this summer!

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis

Anonymous said...

This is such a joyous time. Enjoy it!
~Janette

Shelly said...

God has given you wisdom; may you continue to have a spirit of good judgment and decision making. "Coming home soon" and "complete healing" are being prayed for daily.