Maggie continues to make us happy--she's doing very well. She is down to just .1 liters (that is 1/10) of oxygen and even managed a couple hours today without any oxygen assistance. We never would have imagined last week that she would be at this point. She's also doing very well with her withdrawal, all things considered. She hasn't had any violent tantrums, screaming, or any obvious signs of pain. I think it will be a little while until she is off of the meds that are helping her with the withdrawal process: methadone, valium, and neurontin.
Within a day or a few, we are expecting to be on the hematology/oncology floor--off of ICU. That will be a big relief. I would expect that we'll be hospitalized for a couple of weeks yet, but who knows.
Despite all of her progress, we are still very aware that Maggie has a lengthy recovery ahead of her. They are currently monitoring her urine output as they cut off and reduce her diuretics. That will be an important step. Also, her electrolytes are needing to be balanced and stable. The GI issues that we've dealt with for over a year are going to be slow to recover too and are exaggerated by the withdrawal. It is clear that Maggie needs to stay on TPN for a while; it will take time for her stomach to be able to tolerate food (either formula through her NG tube or regular solid food). Of course the longer she is on TPN, the longer her liver will be taxed beyond what we would like. This illness has caused a delay in our plan to wean the TPN, which we were starting to talk about in February. Now it will be a while for sure. She also needs to regain a lot of strength to be approved for discharge.
Cancer treatments are still on hold and the signs seem to point to a real possibility that Maggie will skip the rest of her treatments--she had been scheduled to have chemo through the end of June which marks her 2 year mark since she was diagnosed. She has been so extremely sick that it is hard to imagine suppressing her immune system any further and making her vulnerable to a new bug or a worsening of whatever she had this time. However, we haven't talked with Dr. French, Maggie's oncologist in Dayton, for over a month. So final decisions about whether or not to resume will require his input. We'll see.
The intense fear of Maggie being in the most fragile situation imaginable has subsided--but this still remains a challenging situation for us emotionally. Of course we are grateful and relieved beyond words to be where we are today. However, as talkative and energetic as Maggie was for the first day post-extubation, she is just a shell of herself now. She rarely has much, if anything, to say. She is awake a lot (almost the entire day since she woke up at 3:30 or so this morning). She is not very active (except for pointing at the TV when she gets excited) and she kind of looks apathetic, or even sad. I don't think any of this is all that unexpected. She's been through a lot. The pictures above paint the picture: she has this look on her face all the time lately. But she looks much more healthy than in past weeks. Her hair alone has changed so much since she was first intubated--we're going to have to figure out how to do little girl hairstyles now.
We are tired and emotionally drained from all that has transpired in the last 46 days in ICU. We'll gladly take it though. We are so incredibly thrilled and relieved to have an end in sight. It is clear that Maggie is loved by so many and has captured quite a few hearts along the way. We can't wait for her to feel better and better and to work her way closer to being sent home!
22 comments:
Good news here as Maggie seems to be making significant progress, compared to the long time it took to turn this corner.
Do you think her apathy might be related to the meds they're giving her to ease withdrawal from the sedatives?
Love and prayers always.
Great Aunt Phyllis
So happy for you for this day! Yes, I know there is still a long way to go but what a relief that her lungs are improving!
She is beautiful!
Still praying for all of you!
xo
So glad she is making progress. Just keep snuggling, loving and reassuring. she probably is a little drained- all her spunk went in to all that fighting and recovering :) We are still praying daily for her. Enjoy the move from the ICU!! Way to go Maggie
This transformation is amazing! God is so good! I'm sure she will be jammering away again soon!
God Bless,
Joee
We are praying for you three constantly! God is so good! Keep fighting Maggie!
Love,
Bethany
continuing to pray for maggie! so glad to hear of this positive news. ~mz
I am honestly surprised how wonderful Maggie looks. I am sure it is a shock to her to wake up with all the tubes, etc. protuding, and not really having any clear idea of how all that happened. I feel sure that once she adjusts a bit to things, you will see the old Maggie back : ) I continue to pray for you all!
When you move up to the oncology floor you may bump into some friends from ACH. Hannah Milhous, an AML patient, is getting ready to have a bone marrow transplant. She is age 4. Her parents are Dave and Heidi, and they are staying at the Ronald McDonald House. I have told them about all of you, so I am hoping that the four of you can meet up somehow while you are there. They, like you both, are a wonderful couple.
Love,
Monica Miyashita, Mom to ^Liddy^
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lydialimeieikomiyashita
She is so beautiful! Maggie has fought the hard fight....she will return to her happy chattering self with time! God has a plan for that little girl!! Hang on...home is getting closer!!
PS. You know this blog HAS to continue for the next 18 yrs so we can all follow her amazing journey!! hA!
T.
Thanking God for these blessings and continuing to hold you all up in prayer.
Glad to hear that Maggie is doing so well. It has been a long time coming. What a beautiful little one you have. She looks so good in the pics - even if she isn't smiling. After what she has been through, and still is going through coming off meds, I'm not surprised that she's not her usual self. That, too, will come.
We'll keep on praying for daily improvement in all things - lungs, tummy, bodily strength, whatever needs she has - in short, a full & complete recovery. Love & prayers from Cousin Carol in Florida
Such pure heartfelt Joy to see these pics of Maggie. She has become a symbol of prayer. We Will continue to hold her in our hearts and raise her name up to our Heavenly Father...thank you so much for keeping us all informed.
Tom and Lori Shevlin
WOO HOO!!!! What great pics of Maggie...she's adorable. This is so wonderful, tell her to keep on fighting! God bless you all.
Christina
She is so beautiful. I love seeing pictures of her awake! Ellie (almost 3) and I were looking at pictures of Maggie this afternoon and we decided we need to send her a package of hairbows and Princess movies. Ellie thinks that will help her feel happy. =) From one princess to another I guess.
Look at those long big girl legs! Silas (my oldest boy) turns 4 tomorrow and Maggie is no baby herself! I so rejoice with you, Andy and Maggie in the progress of the past week. If you wouldn't have such negative associations of the ICU, you should really become a nurse. Your explanations of her disease and progress are quite amazing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. One day at a time...
Blessings, Martha
I am so glad to hear that Maggie is doing better. She will continually be in my prayers for a smooth recovery.
I saw the pictures of Maggie. She is just sooo precious & I am exstatic that she is breathing on her own. Praise GOD!! I know she has an unknown road ahead of her but things seem to be going in her favor. The Lord works in very mysterious ways. GOD bless you all. I hope you & your family find much strength in the Lord. Little Maggie is so lucky to have parents like the two of you.
Yes, there's a long road ahead, but not too long ago, it wasn't clear that there would even be a road to follow. I continue to thank God for this miracle, and for the strength he has given you.
Will also continue praying for all of you as you travel the road to recovery - this "journey" that you are on to Maggie's complete healing.
Debbie M.
Yahoo!
Hip, hip,hooray!
Maggie is up and awake today!
Beautiful eyes and cheeks,
what progress she has made in just one week.
I pray for Maggie each night before I close my eyes and it will be no different tonight. Well, tonight I will keep the beautiful picture of her in my heart.
God bless!
Susan D.
I am glad that Maggie is making progress towards being off of oxygen and out of ICU. I know that it is hard to see Maggie so week and in a drug stupor, but at least you have seen that her personality and words are still in there. As the methadone and ativan get weaned down, I am sure that you will see her personality reemerge. She will grow stronger slowly but surely. Praying for a rapid and full recvery.
Karen Cooley
She is just sooo precious and I am sooo glad she is recovering. I continue to pray for complete healing and peace from this terrifying experience.
~janette
Maggie, Andy and Whitney, I am so very happy for all of you. I have tried to add comments all along, but obviously I don't know what i'm doing! You all remain in my thoughts and prayers as Maggie continues on her road to recovery. She looks GREAT!! You got your wish - you were able to hold her once again. She is a very strong little girl and I just know that you will be back in Dayton soon and we will finally be able to visit. All of us in the H/O clinic miss you and pray for you all. love Sharon
I just want the privilege of saying HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU, AND TO GOD BE THE GLORY! Have been praying for you and your family during this agonizing journey. We know you only through our daughter-in-law sharing your story, and directing us to your blog sight, but have kept you in our prayers and have invited our church and small group join us. Will continue to keep Maggie(and you) in prayer for continued healing---but oh, what a miracle to be where she is at this point!
Post a Comment