We continue to have very good days in the Bixler household. Maggie has been walking all over the house using toys with wheels. She is very interested in walking, even up and down steps, which can be quite difficult. We can tell she is still building up her strength and isn't quite ready to venture on her own yet, however her physical therapist has a goal set for her to walk a couple of steps by herself and stand on her own. She can stand on her own if distracted, but we are still building up confidence.
In the last few weeks, we have also hit a momentous time for us. Maggie doesn't have diarrhea any more! I am sure over half of our blog entries have been about diarrhea, but we are done posting about that. It was such a glorious day that we actually took a picture of her poo. I wanted to post it on here, but was advised that people probably didn't want to look at that. Maggie has also been going on the big, big girl potty some. It is not consistent and we normally start in our diaper and finish on the potty. It is quite funny to listen to her sit on the potty and say, "push, push." She got some Dora underwear at the store. They have not been introduced to her bottom yet, as she is not quite ready, but she is very happy to show everyone her new prize.
Maggie is also beginning to tell jokes. Last week we were sitting at the supper table and she turned to me and pointed to my chest and said, "Milk, in there? No...," and started laughing with her nose and eyes scrunched and her shoulders bouncing up and down as she laughed. This phrase continued for the next 5 minutes as she enjoyed making us both laugh.
We are finally beginning to see Maggie's personality. Though we don't know entirely what it will be, she has some bossy tendencies. She will tell us to do things and end her command by saying, "kay" (as in okay?). She has also learned the word "don't" and uses that quite often. I looked at Maggie in her car seat the other day and she told me, "Don't look me, kay?" You can't help but smile when listening to her. For so long we didn't hear much of anything from her mouth and now she is a chatterbox. It is very refreshing.
Finally, we had our monthly clinic visit yesterday. For both Andy and me, it seems like the days leading up to the appointment we are on edge. The worry of relapse is always on the forefront of our minds. When Maggie gets a new bump, rash, or even scratch the first thing I think of is always a relapse. I asked Dr. French when the worry will go away. Unfortunately his response was, never.
So Maggie received her prophylactic infusion for pneumonia yesterday and her counts checked. Thankfully, everything came back wonderful and we were able to breathe once again. I compare the days prior to Maggie's blood work as feeling like the end of times and when we receive good counts, it feels like Christmas. We can't help but celebrate each month when we get the good news that she is still on track.
We are very thankful that God has given us these "normal" days with Maggie. We continue to hear from others that she is a miracle, and we do believe that. God had many opportunities to take Maggie, and He didn't. We believe that He has big plans in store for her. We look forward to watching Him use Maggie as His Ambassador in the years to come.
Much of what Maggie does throughout the day is play downstairs. She walks all over the place and pushes her little toys. She's all smiles.
Maggie loves to dance with her Daddy. She loves to listen to music, and I find her tapping her foot to it. I look forward to the day that Maggie and her Daddy can do the father/daughter dance at her wedding. What a celebration that will be!
We got Maggie some pajamas, one with a tutu. She now has 2 tutus--this one and one that Aunt Morgan got her for her 1st birthday. She just finally put the purple tutu from her birthday on last week. I think this signifies how good she feels. The last 2 years have been pretty rough on her. She is just finally beginning to "act" like a little girl.
Maggie wanted to have her picture taken in the bathtub. She still loves her baths and will spend hours splashing and filling up her cups of water. We even spend so much time in here that we eat our snacks while playing in the tub.
15 comments:
what a great post! maggie looks fab :)
~mz
Please keep posting the pics! She is a joy to look at! Looking forward to the father-daughter wedding dance pictures!!
Thank you for speaking in church on Sunday. Your message of hope and faith was a powerful one. Maggie's story is truly a miraculous one!
Amy
This is such a wonderful, fun update! It's good to see "our" miracle girl continue blossoming and progressing!
Debbie M.
You so very much deserve to have a "normal" life. An answer to so many prayers! So glad you can see more of Maggie's personality and that she is happy and growing stronger. I love watching her hair grow.
Blessings,
Karen Short
That last picture really got me. Now I'm sitting here crying tears of joy! The last time I saw Maggie was the day she was transported to Cinn. .. she is such a fighter. She looks so healthy and beautiful! I can't wait to see you both on Thursday. Love, jess
Hooray!! Good to read of ordinary, every-day activities and steady progress. Great pictures! So glad your little Maggie is doing well and strengthening those bones. Loce & prayers to you all. Cousin Carol in Florida
It is so wonderful to hear how Maggie is doing. I pray she continues to gain strength and health with each passing day. Meliss Rodhe
She truly is a miracle - from the moment of conception, through her birth, and overcoming her illnesses. Maggie is destined for great things, as she has proved her strengh and determination to survive! I'm so happy to see pictures of "normal" life in your household. Love the Pebbles hairdo!!!
A good number of my friends who look at the blog say Maggie looks like me. The resemblance is clearer in some of my childhood pictures.
So does this mean I'm not allowed to say what a beautiful little girl she is?
Looking forward to seeing you all soon.
Love and prayers always.
Great Aunt Phyllis
What a sweetheart! Thank you for posting such terrific, 'normal' events, they are a true blessing! Whitney, she looks so much like you in the photo taken in the tub!!
Thanks for posting all the wonderful pictures! Maggie is so precious to so many and I am thankful for the glimpse of what her everyday life is like! Tell her I love the tutu pj's!
Maggie is a beautiful little girl...she looks amazing!
Thanks for posting these past and present pictures...they touch my heart as tears stream down my face. Unlike the many times in the past 2 years, these are tears of JOY! We are praising God for his miracle of healing.
Kathy Mast
Maggie looks great! So glad to hear the good news!! I check your blog often, and am sad when there's not an update, but then I'm happy because I assume no news is good news!! Glad to see you guys can have some normal days!
Dear Whitney and Andy,
maggie looks lovely and definitely is growing in to the person God has blessed her to be. Her personality shines through.
I am so happy that you are settling in to just being parent. Michael goes for his scan on Thursday and visit with Dr. French and I can honestly say it is becoming more routine. Someday this will begin to happen to you both.
Thanks you for sharing your beautiful daughter with us!
Susan
Post a Comment