Maggie took 2 hours after her Ativan to fall asleep last night, and it took a dose of Benadryl to seal the deal. It was after midnight before she fell asleep. At 3:45 we got news (as she woke up) that her temperature was 102. They gave her Tylenol and it subsided until about 1 or so this afternoon--it returned to over 101. She's not very comfortable unless she is nursing, but she just received her second dose of Tylenol. The doctors think that it is probably a virus as she is still on a wide range of antibiotics from her last fever. Her vulnerability to bugs is ultra-sensitive, to say the least. Hopefully it will go away soon and the blood cultures that they took will be clean of bacterial infection.
On the plus side, her white blood count (WBC) quadrupled since yesterday morning. Her WBC is at 2,000 vs. 500 yesterday. It still needs to get to between 6,000 and 14,000 to reach a normal range. Next her ANC (currently at 40) will need to jump to at least 500. Since she had such a good day of WBC growth, the rest of her cell growth will hopefully accelerate now. As such, the doctor is ready to think about starting chemo again in the next few days. Or, we might get to go home for a quick break before returning later in the week to start her chemo again. Today marks the 2 week mark of our current hospital stay. 18 of the last 19 days have been spent in our comfy room here on the fourth floor of Dayton Children's Medical Center.
2 comments:
I am glad to hear some good news. I hope that the fever goes away quickly and there are no more issues. Just wanted to tell you I am off all this week and if you had time for a visit or something I could head to Dayton to say hello. We miss you guys and are praying all the time for healing and constant improvement.
Sam
Whitney, I am the mother of one of your high school classmates. I ran into your mother and father at Der Dutchman tonight and learned about your beautiful Maggie. Be assured of my prayers on behalf of Maggie and you. Burke's mom
Post a Comment