Maggie and I (Andy) spent the day together today as Whitney went to work in Columbus. A day earlier, Whitney covered for me while I worked in the afternoon and evening. These are fairly difficult times because Maggie is connected to an IV pole, as well as tubing from her catheter to a container that hooks onto our bed. As a result, we are confined to a small portion of the room--or it takes a team effort to move everything to the other side of the room. Maggie is again pretty attached to our single bed instead of her crib, and she slept the whole night next to Whitney last night.
Anyways, today was a good day despite having problems in the past when mom is away. Maggie drank from a bottle (9.5 ounces) and snacked on part of a banana and some cereal. She napped okay and had a good time smiling and laughing. The most exciting time was when we got a visit from 2 awesome celebrities--Elmo and Grover!!! I was worried that Maggie would cry when she saw them, but she did okay. I just couldn't believe how big they were--both over 5 feet tall (they look so much smaller on TV!). Anyways, that was fun.
Maggie has 2 days of chemo finished, 3 to go. Then we'll have a couple weeks for her counts to recover, then a bone marrow aspirate to determine if Maggie's in remission. That will be a big event, of course. Typically 90-95% of ALL infants or more will get to remission early. The real challenges are staying in remission, and avoiding infections. So that's what we have ahead of us.
We'll continue to touch base with you all--thanks so much for your prayers.
7 comments:
I heard Maggie was clapping during Obama's speech last week...that's my girl!! C & M
Well, it's just as I said before: "Despite all that's happening to her, that little spirit fights on!"
If over five-feet tall Elmo and Grover don't scare her and a catheter doesn't keep her from smiling, I guess I can deal with my own bugaboos (mainly political these days) and minor discomforts.
Hooray for Maggie!
Love and Prayers from Great Aunt Phyllis
What a wonderful word remission. I will wait to hear, and Maggie is quite a little gal. I love to hear about her eating and laughing, then I look at her picture and can imagine the whole thing. Sandy
So glad that Maggie is in good spirits despite all she's going through. I can't imagine how difficult it is for you to be on this medical regimen AND keep up with work. We continue to keep you all in our prayers here in Florida. I print out your blogs for Aunt Betty Haueter (Grandma Martha Bixler's sister-in-law). She told me the other day that she says a prayer for Maggie, and for Maggie's Mom & Dad, whenever she thinks of you, and that's at least 6 times a day. There are lots of people here in Polk County praying for you. Love, Cousin Carol
I was with Whitney at that meeting and while it wasn't bad, it wasnt' nearly as exciting as your celebrity siting!
Glad it was fun and that all is going as well as possible!
Debbie M.
Whitney it was wonderful to see you yesterday. We'll keep the prayers going at our house and on the prayer chain. God bless your little darling, and you both as well.
--Christina
We all missed you at fall conference today! I ate chocolate from the fountain for both of you! I hope to make it over to see you tmw when Jay is napping! I love u guys! Jess
Post a Comment