Saturday, May 23, 2009

ER Visit

We visited the ER this morning after some concern for Maggie and her diarrhea.  Maggie's diarrhea has again picked up since yesterday.  Yesterday morning Maggie had a "normal" stool and we began to think that maybe we were giving her too much applesauce and bananas because she was pushing.  However, it went downhill after that and she continued to have diarrhea in her stool throughout the day and night.  We changed 4 dirty/wet diapers during the night and at 6:00 am, Maggie woke up and immediately said "wawa" (water).  We gave her a glass and she gulped it down.  This happened last time she got very dehydrated (as well as Andy noticing the skin on Maggie's bottom is hanging like a "deflated balloon") and so we were nervous with all that we've been through, that perhaps it was happening again.  

Andy called the hospital at 6:30 am and an hour and a half later, the oncologist on-call called us back.  They normally return our call in 5 minutes.  Thankfully Maggie didn't have a fever or this would have been a problem because in those instances we must get her to the hospital so that she can get antibiotics right away.  

Due to our experience in the past, we were told to come right to the ER.  Being that Maggie had surgery on Wednesday to replace her broviac with a port, we had a new experience of putting numbing cream on the site where her port is, so that they could access her.  Andy and I were both nervous about how Maggie would handle the nurse poking her with a needle, but she really did well.  She cried as we held her down and as they poked her, but the cry didn't escalate, which means that it didn't really hurt Maggie (which is what I was afraid of), and once she began the process of drawing blood, Maggie was very calm and still (she slept most of the time that we were in the ER).  

After blood work, it was determined that Maggie's hydration levels are still good.  We were expecting the worst (we had packed our overnight bags expecting several days in the hospital once again), but were pleasantly surprised.  We will be having home care come out tomorrow morning to do another electrolyte count to make sure that Maggie hasn't fallen lower in her numbers, especially since Maggie continues to have numerous dirty diapers.  

We are very happy to be home, however, due to our visit to the ER and Maggie's condition, we had to cancel holiday plans today, which we were extremely disappointed about.  Andy and I (as I've shared in the past) are just so tired of this.  I've lost faith in the process of healing Maggie's diarrhea problem, we are tired of always worrying, and we simply long for something good to happen.  We have been hit down so much that we just don't know how much further we can fall.  

Please, please pray that this diarrhea issue will get fixed entirely, and though I don't ask for prayer for us, I do ask that you would pray for our psyche.  We are simply tired of it all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lord, I pray not only for You to give strength, peace, and hope to Andy and Whitney, BUT NOW I also ask that they will KNOW and FEEL Your presence in every moment, in every trial, in every blessing.

"Be Still AND KNOW that I AM GOD."
Psalms 46:10

The trial is huge, unending, stressful, irritating...BUT OUR GOD is bigger, forever, peace giving, and joy filling.

We know this is tough and unfair, but we pray that Maggie will heal and God will be praised.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest that the diarrhea is from the high-protein nutritional formula she is getting through the tube? That was my experience, even though medical personnel thought it should be different. It went away when I started eating solid food.

Hang in there!
Aunt Judith

Anonymous said...

Definitely praying for your mental strength to continue to be restored.
Please Lord, give Andy, Whitney, and baby Maggie the relief they so deserve!
deborah

E said...

You three have been heavy on my mind all weekend (so far) and I just pray whenever you come to mind. This morning I read your blog and realized that you were back to the ER--disheartening news to say the very least. I will continue to pray for you and specifically for strength (mental and physical). This is a long and bumpy road you're on, isn't it!?!
Hugs and even more prayers!

Anonymous said...

This morning I was thinking that it will soon be the first anniversary of Maggie's diagnosis.

And while it is understandable that you, Andy and Whitney, are very, very tired, I hope you can also look back and see how many challenges you have met successfully.

And gain strength in this knowledge. As well as in the knowledge that there are so many who are hoping and praying with you.

And for you. All three of you!!!

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis