This morning, they started noticing some blood around and in Maggie's mouth. They looked her over and found a few raw spots on her lip and gums where the breathing tube is rubbing. However, they couldn't be totally sure that her stomach wasn't bleeding. They were planning to scope her tomorrow or Tuesday anyways to track the progress of her healing, so they decided to take a look today just to be safe. Thankfully, the scope indicated that she wasn't bleeding. However, her stomach in general was very inflamed, and her ulcers still look pretty raw. So they weren't as happy with that. The risk of bleeding remains, even though tonight will make one week since the last bleed. So that's a bummer. The other concern is the inflammation--they have added another anti-viral drug, and another anti-fungal drug to her lengthy list of meds. There are a few particular infections that can cause that degree of inflammation, so they are going to try to cover them with these drugs just in case that's what is causing the problem. Over three weeks into this mess, and they have tested for infections (viral, bacterial, fungal) dozens of times, and nothing has shown up. So that feels kind of ridiculous.
They also found that her feeding tube, which is delivering two of the medicines for her stomach, was positioned too low and sat inside the top of her intestine. So, those medicines may never have coated the stomach this week as they thought. So, between the two new meds and the feeding tube being adjusted to allow the previous meds to actually work, we hope that she'll begin to heal.
So it was a bit of a bummer for them to find what they found. That being said, she's finding a way to not bleed, so we hope that continues.
The doctors were pleased with her chest x-ray this morning (they do these every morning) as it showed some improvement in her lungs, though that hasn't translated to lowering the settings on her vent yet.
We're trying to keep a positive attitude despite the disappointment of the scope.
25 comments:
and we continue to pray. . .
Praise God we still have Maggie and will continue to pray for a complete healing. Keep the faith
and stay strong. We love you.
From your Tennessee Family
Hello Maggie and family! It breaks my heart to read all you are going thru but it warmed my heart to find your blog and see all the wonderful pictures you have posted. Please stay strong! You guys are a strong family and I know God is by your side every second of every day! You guys are surely in my thoughts and prayers! Since the first day I ever met you guys in admitting at CMC you have had a special place in my heart. When I was reading over yesterdays blog I could only think that if every time Maggie opens her eyes, as long as the two of you are there with your bright smiles on... all will be well in her heart!
Sarah McLean :-)
(admitting dept at cmc)
Praying, believing.
May you feel Him with you tonight.
Praying for the day when you can take Maggie home! Keep up your spirits! This is one of those glass half empty/half full things: the scope may not have been as positive as we all had hoped, but it was not as bad as we might have worried it could be either. The chest xray was good news indeed. I am guessing the good numbers on the vent will follow shortly. Hang in there! As Monty Python's says "Always (try to) look on the bright side of life"...even though that is hard at times..as I too know all too well. She is still with you, and every day she fights, is a day of HOPE!
Love and prayers,
Monica Miyashita, Mom to ^Liddy^
Andy and Whitney,
Don't be discouraged. Maggie has not had a bleed in a week. That continues to be good news. I am sure you remain exhausted and a bit shell shocked from this all, but this WILL pass. One of these days and I hope it is very soon all the steps they have taken will lead Maggie back home and in to your loving arms again. I am continuing to pray for you and Maggie every night.
Susan D.
Thepositive news is great. Hang in there, get some sleep mom and dad. Maggie needs your strength
It was so good to see you for a few minutes this afternoon. Yes it was discouraging that Maggie's stomach hasn't healed, but when I got home and found this post, I was really encouraged. If the medicine hasn't even been on the bad places in her stomach and she hasn't had a bleed, think how much things will improve with the tube moved so the medicine will have a chance to work!
Praying as always, along with a whole host of friends and family.
Debbie M.
Maggie's pray quilt has been hanging at our church since Wed and many prays have been given for her and her parents as each tied a knot. I'll send it to you when I hear from Gene whereto send it. God Bless each of you as I can not imagine what you are going through. Love you Aunt Ann
Praying for a good night of rest for all of you. Maggie...you are so loved and covered in prayer. Hang in there honey.
Love,
Sue Archer
I agree with the other posts...although the inflammation is discouraging, there is so much to be thankful for. Even a small improvement in the chest x-ray is an answer to so much prayer! One step at time. Praying for a better night of sleep and better days ahead.
Maggie we are so proud of you for fighting so hard! Praying that you all get some rest tonight.
Love,
Bethany
You guys are doing such an awesome job! I miss you so much! I'm across the world but you are heavy on my heart and mind. Still praying for a miracle. Love you. Jess
I'm so glad to hear her lungs are showing a bit of an improvement. So sorry to hear the scope didn't return better results. But I have faith that Maggie will improve. She is constantly in my prayers, as are you both.
22 days....I know it seems a lifetime. I spent 42 days sleeping on a recliner while my mother was in the hospital. She has Alzheimers and at the time, an ng tube...a feeding port in her chest, and did not comprehend any of it. Like a child...she would pull the tubes out, so we had to be with her. Her illnes was one that the Drs. were on the internet researching....the point being...she survived, had another 3-4 years at home with my Dad. She is now in a nursing home. But during those 42 days....I thought it would never ever end. A loved one..be it parents, siblings or my feelings, the most difficult, your child, it is so so hard!. Hang in there! Maggie is one tough little girl! I believe she got that from her parents! We are still praying....
T.
Dear Andy and Whitney,
Continuing to pray for ~Precious Maggie~ and for the both of you too. Hope things are going good!
Will write more later :)
~WARM HUGS~ Love, Tina and Bill
Don't be too discouraged by the scope results. Debbie M has got the right idea. If Maggie hasn't even been getting the medicine for the ulcers and she has not had a bleed, then she has been managing ON HER OWN. Yes, it's disheartening that several days of healing medicine might have been missed, but now that she's getting the meds in the right place, we will look for progress soon. I'm so glad that the chest xray shows improvement in her lungs. We'll keep on praying for strength and complete healing for Maggie, for encouragement for you two. and for wisdom for the medical staff caring for your little one. Love & prayers, Cousin Carol
stay strong... I don't know why this is happening, all of this, but you are handling it as well as any one could. keep up the fight.
Still praying, and will continue to do so until Maggie is healed. We're praying that this is the beginning of the turn around from the ARDS and that she can come off the vent soon so she can tell you guys that "NO WAY" is she going to leave you. Take heart in those moments with her rattle, as heartbreaking as they are, they show you that there is such a strong will to live and recover in your beautiful daughter. God bless you all.
Christina
Been looking for an update on Maggie, no news is good news. I know her parents are so tired, but as a prayer warrior rfor Maggie I hope I can give them strength just by telling mom and dad that we are out here praying for Maggie.
Whitney, I was attending an Emmaus gathering last week in Findlay, Ohio when one of our group requested prayer for Maggie. Word is still spreading of your brave little girl and the battle she is so valiently waging. People are still holding you up in prayer, so never feel like you are in this by yourself. Prayer warriors across the country and around the world know about your family and are holding you before the throne of grace daily. Stay strong just one more day.
Still praying for you baby girl, and hoping that no news is good news.
Maggie is in my thoughts tonight. -Delanie
Checking in for news, hopeful that no news is good news. Keep on clinging to our Father and to each other. Many, many people are lifting you all up in prayer continually.
Debbie M.
Praise God for hearing our Prayers.
I read and re-read the updates Thanking God for His Love and Grace.
Will continue to pray for a complete healing for little Maggie.
I feel the Holy Spirit when praying for Maggie and the family.
Love from Tennessee
Post a Comment