Friday, April 9, 2010

The Corner

It is Friday-- the end of the week. The big week that Andy talked about on Monday. So how is Maggie? Maggie has been known to go against what the doctors think she will do. Her GI system is going to re-bleed and she's going to lose 75% of her stomach-- she decides not to bleed again. She isn't making much progress on the vent so they decide she might need a trach-- she decides she's ready to wean. And she has.

Maggie is on extubatable settings! They have been lowering her pressures by 1 all week (they worked very slowly, yet tried to be aggressive), and she is now at the pressure of 5. 5 is what they extubate at. At the beginning of the week, I believe she was at about 10. Her FI O2 is at 40%, another setting they want it at, where as at the beginning of the week I think she was at 60%. Yesterday they changed the mode on Maggie's ventilator to allow her to do all the breathing by herself. If she decided to stop breathing, the machine would then take over and do the work. In the last week or more, she has been breathing over top the vent, while receiving support, however in the last 24+ hours, she has done it with some volume support, but little else. This helps them to see that she seems to be ready.

Yesterday Maggie also managed to stay awake for 13 straight hours. This was a first in a long time. She tried to communicate with us, but it is difficult when no sound comes out of her mouth. We all took our turns trying to entertain her yesterday. One of her favorite things was to wash her hands with the sanitizer. It is the cutest thing to watch her put her little hands together. Though she is heavily sedated (but at this point all these drugs really don't do much for her), we still see bits of Maggie every now and again. Given that she was up so long yesterday, she fell asleep last night without any drugs and she slept the whole night without anything as well. She was tired.

So, our big day is TOMORROW! Though I am very excited, I also have been warned by one of the nurses that given that today marks the day she was intubated 6 weeks ago, she might have to be re-intubated after extubation. The longer they are intubated, the harder it is to get them off. By the sounds of things, we should know whether Maggie is successful at extubation within 12-24 hours. Hopefully Maggie will again prove us wrong and show us that she is ready.

Please, pray with us tomorrow, especially between 10-1, that Maggie will be successful without the ventilator. Pray that she will not need to be re-intubated, but that her lungs will stay open and that she will be able to oxygenate and ventilate well.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful hearing this positive report on Maggie! We are praying for continued healing for Maggie, and you all will especially be in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow! We love and miss you lots!

Sherry & Eric

Anonymous said...

What terrific news! We're not surprized, though, because as you said, Maggie does things when she is ready, as she seems to be now. We will double our prayers tomorrow beginning at 10 that Maggie is successful, and that this is the beginning of the end of this nightmare for all of you.

Love, Pam and Dick

Melissa said...

Great news! I hope all continues to go well and the extubation process is a success. Positive, positive thoughts sent your way today and definitely tomorrow. Keep on fighting, Maggie!

gm65000 said...

What great news! You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Gary and Beth

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Praying for you and your family and that little Maggie will get home soon where she belongs!
Tamara, Matt and little Grant

Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD, this is great news, another BIG step forward... Maggie has shown that she is ready to return to mommy and daddy and with Gods help she will be able to breath on her own and no tube.
I know this ius just one of many steps maggie has to complete but this is a biggie.
This has made my week, I will continue to monitor your blog and keep maggie in my prayers

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! We will all pray extra hard that all goes well tomorrow and that Maggie CAN and WILL breathe well all on her own and never need that vent again. Thank you, God, for your healing breath in little Maggie's lungs. Cousin Carol in Lakeland

Anonymous said...

You go Maggie girl! Praying, praying, praying!

Unknown said...

Wonderful news...keep up the good work, Maggie!! You too, parents!

Nicki said...

I am so happy to read a positive update. I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts to you all day tomorrow...especially between 10-1!

Anonymous said...

Maggie is an inspiration to all of us to never give up. Many, many positive vibes will be coming your way tonight and tomorrow.
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that the Purkey/Reinharts are always thinking of you all. And I wanted to let you know that instead of doing a Dollar Dance or Dash for Cash at our reception tomorrow, we are asking people to instead donate their money to the Centerville Relay for Life. Maggie is listed on our "In Honor of" section. Just wanted to let you know we are thinking about her.

Amy Purkey

Deb Kimble said...

My 'heart is in my throat' while I anxiously await the news. Stay tough, Bixlers!

Peace,

Deb

Shelly said...

I printed off the last paragraph of this post to guide my prayers. My alarm is set for 9:55 tomorrow to remind me to pray earnestly between 10 and 1. Believing!!!

Anonymous said...

Great news! Pray for successful extubation tomorrow. Continue praying for your family.
Love,
Marlene

Anonymous said...

Wow - whatan emotional rollercoaster you all have and are dealing with!! Soooo glad to hear that there is progres being made. Maggie - you sure are a fighter - don't know if I would have the strength to fight like that. It is inspiring and moving. Then again, you have a whole lot to fight for and you have lots of people battling with you. I look forward to hearing more good news soon! I will continue to pray and hope for complete healing and peace for all of you.
-janette

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to think of Maggie as "Miracle Maggie!" She seems to be on her own timetable and does things on her own terms. What fun you will have in the years to come!! This post gave me goosebumps and you can bet I will be praying fervently from morning until we hear good news!!! What an exciting and scary day for you and Andy. You are all in my prayers! God Bless.

Jodi Sunday
Sterling, Illinois

John and Bethany said...

It is such wonderful news. I will pray for all of you tonight and tomorrow. I can't wait for you to hold Maggie, something I've been asking God for, for all of you. Such hope in very much darkness. We won't stop praying for continued healing of Maggie's body from this illness and no more cancer. Blue skies from Colorado.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news, to know that Gods is answering everyone prayers. We will continue to pray that tomorrow Maggie will be off the vent and in your arms. Praying for another good day tomorrow.Give her hundreds of kisses from all of us.I am so excited, Thank you dear Jesus, please help maggie tomorrow
give her mommy and daddy peace.
We will give you all the praises.
Will be looking for great news tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

yay! yay! yay! What a great post with great news! Praying for little Maggie, as well as for the two of you as you wait! I hope this is the corner she needs to turn which will allow her soon to head home with her two wonderful and loving parents! Praying for you from Pittsburgh!
love,
Erlina Mae

Jo-Anne said...

Wonderful news! Way to go Maggie!

Anonymous said...

I hope she is a very cooperative teenager, bacause it sounds like you are getting all of your excitement, rebellion, stubbornness, edge-of-the-seat-what-will-she-do-next? from her right now.

GA in VA

Anonymous said...

Crying joyful tears for you and your sweet Maggie. I will continue to pray all weekend that her lungs hold up under the new pressure and she continues to amaze everyone. I also pray that, as she sleeps, so can you.

Praise the Lord!
Becky Wright

mommathieszen said...

A BIG step with a BIG God behind her--we will be praying! I'm setting my timer for 10 a.m. right now and when that baby goes off, this girl is going to be praying! : ) Blessings to all of you!!!
Angie

Anonymous said...

Praying hard for maggie! Make it happen, maggie! ~mz

Amy Geiser said...

So many people, a lot of them you probably don't even know, have been praying for this day right along with you. Will definitely be praying for you guys over the weekend. You have a strong little girl, and I pray for the day when she can do fun little girl things all the time.

Shannon Burkett said...

Still following her progress and praying for you all!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you guys. I believe that Maggie will be ready and not need to be reintubated. Doctors have to warn you of the possibilities, but these girls are tough. I know it will be hard to sleep tonight for the anxiety and excitement combined, but get your rest while you can. Katie-Belle slept very little in the first week or so after extubation due to the drug weaning process. A full night's sleep may be hard to come by for quite a while, but it will be worth it to be moving in the right direction. Praying for a successful and uneventful extubation.
Karen Cooley

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear about the wonderful news! Will be thinking about you tomorrow! *hugs*
Kathy Rirder

Anonymous said...

You have one amazing baby girl, but I am sure you already know that! Saying lots of prayers for all of you! Keep amazing us, Maggie!

O'Briskie Family said...

Our family will be on pins and needles waiting to hear the results of the big day. I am sure your sleep will be restless tonight. How exciting that Maggie was awake and you were able to interact with her. God is faithful and we will cover you prayers! Maggie truly is a miracle.

Anonymous said...

Alright Maggie! Show them what you've got!

The Barnett Family said...

Great news. We will be thinking of you all. Miracle Maggie.

Anonymous said...

Great news! We are so excited that this could be the beginning of her complete healing! We are praying so hard and will continue to...especially between 10 and 1 tomorrow! Keep fighting Maggie! I know you can do it sweetie!

Love,
Luke and Bethany

Krista said...

I work nights in an ICU, so I'll be praying all night long that her little lungs will be strong and ready come 10am. Hoping and praying for the best,
Krista

Anonymous said...

Praising God for Maggie's progress this week and praying for even more success tomorrow! "Miracle Maggie" will soon be on the move! Thanks for the encouraging update!

Anonymous said...

Prayer warriors on alert like you wouldn't believe tonight... God bless little Maggie and her wonderful parents.

Susandigiorgio@hotmail.com said...

Whitney and Andy,
This is the day we have been praying for. I drove by the hospital today and thought of you all praying along the highway. Tomorrow I know will bring Maggie one step closer to getting back home. Praise God for this blessing!
Love,
Susan D.

Nettie said...

Praise the Lord!! We will certainly be praying tomorrow that all goes well.
Love,
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Maggie girl.....we are praying fervently for you. Everytime I thought of you yesterday I would say come on Maggie, fight! Glad to get this exciting post. Praying that today between 10-1 you will see a miracle. She is such a fighter. Glad that you were able to spend some awake hours with her too. She is so ready to be back in your arms. We love you all.
Sue and Larry Archer