Sunday, April 11, 2010

Joy

We have had a very good last day and a half. Maggie has been doing exceptionally well. Yesterday morning at 4:00am, they turned off all of Maggie's narcotics (sedation drugs). Around 8:00am, the drugs had worn off enough for her to know that she had a tube in her throat and her natural reaction was to gag/vomit. Because she began to vomit, they decided not to wait until after rounds, but instead to do it during rounds. Thus the reason for the earlier extubation-- she was ready.

Once they extubated Maggie, they put her on a high-flow air canula around her nose. She was given high settings for this-- 10 liters of oxygen at 100%. Throughout the day they continued to lower her settings as her oxygen saturation was at 100%. As Andy said yesterday, she continued to vomit after extubation, their thought being her throat had been irritated by the tube sitting there for so long. Once she was given Zofran (anti-nausea drug) she settled down and we haven't had problems since.

As far as her lung health is concerned, they transferred Maggie from the high-flow to the regular oxygen this afternoon. This morning they were able to wean her down to 5 liters at 50% on the high-flow. When they changed her to the regular oxygen this afternoon, they moved her to 3 liters. Just a note, that before Maggie was intubated, she was on 5 liters in Dayton. In the last 3 hours or so they have been able to wean Maggie's liters to 1. One! It is amazing to us that she seems to be requiring such little assistance. And her saturation is still between 98-100%. It is hard to believe that just 48 hours ago she was on a ventilator and now she is on 1 liter. We hope that Maggie continues to do so well with her lung functioning.

Maggie has been very weak and shaky. In some ways, it feels like we have a 30 pound newborn (versus the 10 pounder we had at birth). Her shakiness is due to her withdrawal from the heavy narcotics. She of course is very weak since she has been laying in bed the last 6 weeks. As we held her yesterday, it was very awkward as Maggie couldn't support herself at all and it seemed as though she couldn't get comfortable. We enjoyed holding our baby in our arms after not being able to do so for 6 weeks, but since those few moments, we have kept her in bed to recover.

Maggie's behavior has been so cute. She has picked up right from where she left off. The day she was intubated, Maggie was NPO (nothing by mouth) all day in preparation for her bronch. She asked for juice all day and we had to pretend to call the lunch ladies and ask for them (but they never showed up!). The day before she was extubated, she was quite awake, and the first thing she mouthed to me (she still couldn't talk) was "juice." She hadn't forgotten after 6 weeks.

As Maggie has become more aware in the last week, she has also been pointing to things and we couldn't figure out what she wanted. Yesterday, she finally was able to verbalize what she has been wanting. There was a water bottle on the windowsill that Maggie pointed out yesterday and said "wa-wa." I asked her how she thought we could get the water. Her response, "Andy." I guess she hasn't lost the habit of calling her daddy by his first name, as well as what he is best known for-- the gopher. She has called for him several times in the last day to do something for her. It's very endearing (hopefully Andy thinks so too).

Maggie's new favorite thing to do is to suck water from a sponge that they use to clean her teeth. She had been requesting for water from the time she was extubated and they didn't want her to have anything by mouth yesterday in case she needed to be re-intubated. The nurse allowed her a couple of sponge dips into the water and she sucked away. Today she has been given the okay for clear liquids and so we have allowed her to dip the sponge by herself (though shaky) and she will hold it in her mouth for quite awhile. I have heard of other children who have had an oral aversion after being intubated, but thankfully I think we will not have to worry about this.

So our last day and a half have consisted of keeping Maggie comfortable and entertaining her. She has watched many of her favorite movies and shows in the last day and the excitement that she shows is precious. Last night she commentated through all of Backyardigans. Though she is still very hoarse, she tries to use her voice and still experiments with it some.

We are so happy to have our baby girl back. She is such a joy. Andy said back when Maggie was first intubated and when we thought we had lost her, that we would appreciate her so much more after all of this (we had no idea it would be 6 weeks). I told him, there is no way we could appreciate her more than we already have. She is loved beyond belief from both her mommy and daddy. We thank God for our precious miracle.

65 comments:

Lauren said...

This is one incredible miracle. God is so good. Maggie is a fighter, she only has good things to come. And you all as her parents will be blessed with the experiences that she will have.

I hope that she will be able to return home soon. And that you will all know days of health.

E said...

Wow! This is truly a miracle--the one we've been praying for! I'm so excited for you to have your girl back. Continuing to pray that things continue to go well and that you're home soon and all of this is just a distant memory! Thank you, God for answering our prayers!

O'Briskie Family said...

I was overwhelmed today as we prayed a prayer of thanks in church for her today... finally. Thank you for the beautiful update. We will continue to pray for her amazing recovery. Maggie the miracle :) you made it!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! Rejoicing with you!

Love and prayers always.

Great Aunt Phyllis

Debbie said...

Praise God! This is truly a miracle!

It's so good to hear that Maggie is still Maggie and to see the joy that shines through your words!

Still praying for continued recovery.

Debbie M.

Anonymous said...

So SO Happy for all of you!! God Bless Maggie!!

T.

Joyce Nosker said...

Praise God for the wonderful news. I don't know you (although my daughter was one of Whitney's students while she was pregnant with Maggie), but tears of welling up in my eyes with joy. You folks have been through a tortuous 6 weeks, well ever since Maggie's diagnosis, so this positive turn is much overdue.

May our dear Savior continue this work in Maggie until her complete healing.

Joyce

Unknown said...

I'm crying from the beauty and joy of this post!! As I've said before, God bless your little fighter!! She is indeed a miracle, enjoy and may the joy continue through a complete recovery! Still praying.
Christina

Anonymous said...

Your title "Joy" says it all. Thanks be to God! I've been blinking back tears reading this wonderful post. Everyone has prayed so long for this miracle. We will all continue to pray for Maggie's COMPLETE recovery, and pray that soon you will be able not only to hold her in your arms again but take her home with you. So very happy for all of you!! Love & prayers from Cousin Carol in Florida

Faith said...

How WONDERFUL our God is!!! We praise Him for your amazing report!!!! God is faithful, even when it's hard to believe!
We will continue praying as recovery is on the agenda! :)
Prayers,
Travis & Faith Gingerich

Anonymous said...

One. Big. Reason. To. CELEBRATE!! I am so thrilled for all of you and so proud of our pediatric doctors and nurses and supports... yay Maggie!!! What a sweetheart. So so so overjoyed for your family!

Anonymous said...

Such a joyful moment!!! Maggie, you are a special girl and I hope you will always know that. When faced with what seem like unsurmountable challenges, I will think of you for inspiration.By the way, your parents are amazing too!! You probably cannot imagine how joyful they are right now and how much you mean to them. Keep on fighting little one!
-janette

Abbe said...

thank you for the recent updates! we are praising god for his healing hand on maggie!!

Shelly said...

Your writing is beautiful; I completely envisioned your joyful moments with Maggie and pray for many more. Believing and rejoicing!
Love, Shelly

Laura said...

I cried as I read your entry. I am beyond thrilled for you. We were in Indianapolis all weekend and I kept wondering how everyone was doing. Thank you God!

Free Rein Art Studio said...

what wonderful news!!! So happy for you!

kensingtonlawyer said...

The heading of your post says it all: JOY! Indeed it is a joyous day as we celebrate the miracle that is Maggie and her two amazing parents : )

Love you all,

The Miyashitas
Monica Mark Max and ^Liddy^
Orrville, OH

Anonymous said...

oh what great news!!! my prayers will always be with you both and with maggie. ~mz

Anonymous said...

This darling baby is an absolute, glorious miracle. Following your blog day after day I have just fallen in love with little Maggie- with your hope and spirituality. Seeing Maggie- extubated!! and reading how wonderful she is doing, makes my heart smile. I update my family and friends on your story all the time, and my husband and I are dumbfounded by the strength that you three have- even when you thought you had no more- you did... God Bless You- This is just wonderful news.

I will continue to pray... for your beautiful little family.

Jillian Condon
(cousin to the Ally Barnett family)

Anonymous said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Today at church, a young man sang (beautifully) "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" and I thought of your family. We can know He watches us so closely and He listens to the cry of our heart.

Amazing miracle from the Giver of all good and perfect gifts.

Becky Wright

Anonymous said...

I was just scrolling through some old entries. One week ago, Andy wrote about "Day 37." So down, wondering if it would ever end. What a difference a week makes!

Praise God!

Anonymous said...

Cannot praise Jesus enough! This is such wonderful news I am so excited! PRAISE HIM PRAISE HIM PRAISE HIM!
We will continue to pray for maggie
to be completly heal and joy and peace for the family.
Your all are awesome.
Praying for you be blessed with
more healing and peace.

Nicki said...

The title of your post says it all! I am SO happy for all of you. I love all the stories about Maggie...she is such a sweet baby girl.

Anonymous said...

I am overwhelmed!!! I can't believe it! Maggie you are such a fighter!!! Andy and Whitney you have been so amazing in this horrific situation, you of all people deserve a miracle! Just think what an amazing life story this sweet girl already has!!! Love you all! I am truly overjoyed!

mommathieszen said...

Oh so much joy for all three of you! What a gift to hear the words of Maggie being just the same as you have always known. Many continued prayers for her to carry on in the positive progress! Love to all of you and special hugs to Maggie! What a God we serve.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Maggie is doing so well. Katie-Belle weaned to low settings on the oxygen unexpectedly quick to, but was slow to say anything or to come out of her narcosis from the drugs. I am so glad to see that Maggie is able and willing to put things in her mouth and to want water. That should make her post extubation recovery much quicker if she is able to drink and will be able to go back to food qicker. I am so glad for you that she is doing so great!
Karen Cooley

Anonymous said...

God is a good God.. yes he is! Rejoicing with you!
Cecily

Susan DiGiorgio said...

Dear Whitney and andy,
At long last a bright light fromthe end of a very dark tunnel! Your words some to life as I read them, and I can hear the joy in your voice. I am so thankful to God for bringing Maggie back to you again. Blessings for a wonderul night and an uneventful day!
The DiGiorgio Family

Anonymous said...

Thank you God, for the precious gift of Maggie. I'm so glad to hear the good news and will continue to pray for all of you. Bev Sigler

Erlina Mae said...

Yay! What a joyous post- so glad to hear the good news! We give thanks to God for your miracle and praise Him for how far she's come! What an amazing God we serve!

Rejoicing with you tonight,
Erlina Mae

Sarah said...

Goodness, I sat here reading your post fighting back happy tears, and they just kept coming as I saw some of the other posts people have left for you. So very, very happy for answered prayers! Continuing to pray for strength for Maggie and more reasons for the three of you to rejoice!

Anonymous said...

Halelujah, what a Savior! My heart has cried out to God our Father and felt your pain over the
last several weeks. Wow, your blog has been amazing! It makes us realize that God's timing is not
our timing, but His timing is perfect. Just look how far He has brought you all. Wow, His mighty power never ceases to amaze me. I will continue my prayers for you all and praise God for His healing. Kathy Camp - Chattanooga

Anonymous said...

So great to hear the good news!! I am continuing to pray for all of you!
Donya

Anonymous said...

So AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

Praise our loving Father for such encouraging news. I pray Maggie continues to stay strong, and continues to improve. How precious such encouraging news is - to all of us who are following Maggie's journey, and her parents'.

The Barnett Family said...

We are so happy for you all. Your perseverance paid off. Keep on healing and get her HOME.

Melissa said...

So happy for you all! That is such great news. I'm hoping this means you are nearing the end of your roller coaster ride. Praying she continues her great progress!

Anonymous said...

Dear God in heaven, thank you for bringing this baby girl through this horrible ordeal. Please watch over her and give her the strength she needs to fully recover!
Amen

Anonymous said...

Andy and Whitney, I am sitting here with happy tears for you three! What a joy that Maggie is healing and you are able to hold her again! It is all such a blessing! We serve a Mighty God! Thank you Jesus! I will continue to pray for complete healing for Maggie. She is such a fighter! Great Job Maggie! You guys will be home before you know it!

Love,
Bethany

Anonymous said...

JOY!!! Couldn't think of any word I would rather read on your post and of no family that deserves joy than you, Andy and Whitney. Peace to all of you.
Stacey, Tomas, Ben and Emily

Anonymous said...

Finally... after reading your post my tears are from JOY rather than fear. Continue to enjoy your precious Miracle Maggie!
Thanks be to God!

Jessica Whitlock said...

So, so, so happy and thrilled for you, Andy & Whitney!

John and Bethany said...

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23

Continued blessings and healing. How amazing is Maggie's spirit that she is getting back to herself so quickly.

Anonymous said...

Joy....just simply,....pure joy. Peace, Genia

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for you all. I pray each day for a miracle for Maggie and God has been good! I am so excited for you and that you were able to hold your sweet little girl. What a joy!! I will keep praying that this will soon be over and you will have her home with you!
Melissa Rodhe

Anonymous said...

This brings a smile to my face. You guys were added to our prayer chain several weeks ago. I've been praying for you guys daily, and continue to do so. I

Anonymous said...

God has answered all of the prayers said for Maggie! She is such a strong little fighter! I will continue to pray that she continues on the road to recovery & you will be able to take her home very soon!!

Jo-Anne said...

Hooray! All of our prayers are finally being answered. Maggie truly is a little angel. I think that she's really helped us all to look at our children and appreciate them even more than we ever thought we could. Things can change so quickly and Maggie is proof that they can change quickly for the better too. Thank you for being you Maggie. You mean more to even perfect strangers than you can ever know. And Whitney and Andy, God made the right choice sending Maggie to you. She couldn't ask for more wonderful parents. Thank you for continuing to share your story and being an inspiration. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah.......Maggie we are rejoicing in your miracle!!! You are a child of God and you have a testimony to tell. Thank you Jesus for this precious little girl and her fight for life:) We rejoice with you Andy and Whitney for being able to hold your Maggie again and to interact with her. I am sure smiles are in abundance. We continue to pray for complete healing and strength for the three of you as you travel down the road of life.
Love, Sue and Larry Archer

Anonymous said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!! He is so good and faithful!Your little Maggie, who now is our little Maggie, has wonderful things in store for her. I am so excited for all of you. You have been so faithful and steadfast in your trust of God. He has many blessings for all of you. Precious Maggie is blessed and I am positive she will be a tremendous testimony of God's grace and healing. I continue to pray for Maggie and the both of you that God will do a speedy healing...a total healing and Maggie will be home in her own bed soon! Remember, you are not alone, we are all praying and God is with you!! RoseAnn in NY

Kendra said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!!
So happy to hear things are going so well. That little girl got her spunk from her mother. :)
Will continue to pray for you all as she continues this complete recovery.

Kendra said...

Praise God! This is wonderful news! I am so happy to read this update today. May God continue to heal little Maggie and give you both peace.

Kendra

Unknown said...

Congratulations and way to hang in there, all of you! I know you still have a long road to recovery and have to switch gears back to the cancer and whether to complete treatment, but it looks like you have one strong little girl on your hands :-) Good luck as she gets older ;)

Melissa

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful day and what beautiful words to read!
Absolutely LOVE the photo of Mommie and Baby....I'm sending a huge hug to wrap around all of you.
More prayers for continued "joys".

Melissa WM

Anonymous said...

God is SO good!! ~Kristina Bishop

Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE IS SOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what wonderful news --you have your baby girl back. Awesome!!!
lucy m.

Anonymous said...

Reading today's blog has been wonderful. I'm so happy for you all. Maggie is truly a miracle!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I'm so glad you are able to hold your baby girl again, and that she is doing well.

Julie Stewart

Lydia said...

Praise God! What wonderful news Whitney:)My whole family is SOOOO HAPPY and we are praying now that you all get to go home soon!! Maggie is a little Miracle and a little fighter. So glad you were able to hold her and love on her. Love to all of you!
Lydia

Josh Sauder said...

Alissa and I our so excited for this awesome news!!! (Nora is too!) We've been praying in our young-marrieds class every week for all of you since this thing began, and on our own. We celebrate with you! Can't wait until when we can see each other again! Nora can't wait to play with Maggie.

Love you guys so much,

Josh, Alissa, & Nora

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!!He is faithful. Yesterday when I told my church family that Maggie was off the respirator, there was a round of applause and praise the Lord's. Now I will keep praying for a speedy complete recovery free from all the bad stuff that could happen.Love you. Cousin Ruth Ann

Kristen Hurley said...

I am so happy for you all and for Maggie. Praying that she continues to do better and better. Love!

Unknown said...

I loved reading this last blog! Even though I was there, or maybe because I was there to see Maggie overcome so much, it's even more personal to be able to read about her successes through your eyes! It's been so wonderful to see her interact with you and Andy. I'm so proud of her!!! Everything about Maggie and her amazing family brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. :o)

Anonymous said...

Great, awesome, JOYful news! Praying that she'll continue recovering more each day!!

Krista said...

What sweet relief it must have been to hold Maggie again and to see her alert and interested in life! As I read your post, I about cried with joy for the healing God has given to her. We will continue to pray for her and you both as you march on and keep your eyes fixed on Jesus who is right there with you!