The doctors have jointly come together (pulmonary, oncology, & nephrology) to make some decisions about Maggie's situation. First off, her acid reflux test came back normal, meaning she doesn't have acid reflux (the antacids she is on are working). The kidney doctors ordered a test of Maggie's kidney function to determine if she was having problems and thus the reason for retaining fluids (as well as checking to see how her kidney function was). This test came back normal; well actually better than normal if that is possible.
Pulmonary came to rounds yesterday morning to help make some decisions in regards to Maggie's upcoming tests (an oxygen study & sleep study). They decided at this point in time, they are not going to do either study because they don't feel it would give any more information to what they are already treating. They also want Maggie to be completely weaned off of her withdrawal medicines. She will be finished with these meds (methadone & valium) on May 4. They have decided that the de-sats that Maggie is having at night are most likely related to the sleep cycle that she is in-- REM sleep. So, the sleep study might eventually happen, but probably as an outpatient visit.
Pulmonary also suggested moving Maggie to oral lasix to help with the potassium problem as well as help with our future plans of discharge. They need to be able to have a plan in place that helps her to get rid of fluid yet keep her electrolytes at an appropriate level. This oral lasix began yesterday so we will see how she does in the next couple of days.
Maggie's oxygen requirement remains where it has been the last week plus. She goes from 3/4 to 1 liter. She grows tired in the evening and we can tell because she does more de-sating after 5:00. We try to keep her as relaxed as possible since the more energy she exerts, the more work it takes for her lungs to function properly.
Today marks the 9 week mark of being in the hospital. Today, Maggie went outside for the first time in that 9 week period (we aren't counting her transport down to Cincinnati). Her occupational therapist took her outside on their playground on the roof. She had a wonderful time playing in the sun on the blanket and going down the slide. A friend that works at the hospital was there and took the pictures that are posted. Maggie is enjoying life to the fullest. I'd just like to be able to have her enjoy it outside the hospital too.
.jpg)
We put the clothes that we packed for Maggie back in February on her. We have found that her pants are too tight in her diaper area and too short, her sweatshirt is very tight around her, and her shoes are too small (I think due to some wideness in the foot). We might just be buying her a whole new wardrobe when we leave here, as she has gained over 5 pounds since being admitted into the hospital (much of that is most likely fluids).

Maggie picked a new toy out and played with it on the blanket outside.
.jpg)
She is crawling! Maggie is getting her strength back and doing some of the things that she was doing before she got sick.
.jpg)
She went down the slide 3 times. I think one of her highlights of being outside.
.jpg)
What a happy little girl! She is such a joy.
40 comments:
Amazing. If I saw these pictures and knew nothing else of this story I wouldn't believe it. It is so wonderful to see her smile and having fun. I know there is a long road ahead for all of you - but hopefully you can live for these moments. I'm happy you have them together.
I just teared up to see your pictures. I know you have a long way to go for recovery, but Maggie + Sun = beautiful. ls
THIS. IS. WONDERFUL!!! That last picture with the big smile made my night!!! I am still praying for you baby girl so you can go home soon!
Wow. That is amazing. She is such a fighter. Glad she was outside on this beautiful day.
It is so wonderful to see pictures of Maggie smiling. We are still praying and thinking of you all.
Love you!!
Nat and Andy
This is so wonderful to see! What fun!
Thank you for sharing it and your friend for taking the photos.
Still praying and still believing that God is control.
Debbie M.
What a cutie-pie Maggie is! I love how she is smiling and laughing in these photos. God Bless Maggie, and the two of you!
Continued prayers,
Monica Miyashita, Mama to ^Liddy^ and Max
Orrville, OH
Good test results - HOORAY!! Maggie OUTSIDE playing and CRAWLING! HOORAY!! I'm so glad to see these pictures, so glad to see Maggie and Mommy and her OT enjoying a beautiful day! What a great spirit booster for you all. and for us, too! God is good!!
I know that there are still many health goals to be met, some that will take lots longer than others, but you ARE making progress toward complete healing. We "pray-ers" will keep petitioning our wonderful Lord for His strength to flow into all three of you, and that soon you will be able to go home. Thanks to your friend for taking these pictures and thanks for posting them. Sleep well. Love from Cousin Carol in Lakeland.
What Joy, Thank you Jesus, Still
praying for a complete healing.
God is so Good.May each day be a little better and you will soon be home with lots of Hope and Faith.
Maggie your Beautiful and Mommy and Daddy loves you so very much.
With Love from Tennessee
YAY!
wow, these pictures made my whole day! What a wonderful sight. She looks so sweet and I can't get over all of her beautiful brown hair ;). Keep it up Maggie. You have so many who love you and are praying for you.
What joy you must feel to see Maggie outside and happy.
Pictures of a happy Maggie are a wonderful way to begin my day! Thanks for posting this little ray of sunshine!
Continued prayers for more good reports!
Love from Dalton
It is wonderful to see her outside, smiling, and playing. She is just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing these photos of her! You must be so proud of your little girl!
~janette
~AWESOME~AWESOME~AWESOME~AWESOME~
WHAT A LOVELY SIGHT TO SEE. THIS MADE ME CRY AND WARMED MY HEART!!!
THE PICTURES ARE SO ADORABLE!
I COULDN'T BE MORE HAPPY FOR MAGGIE AND YOU BOTH TO BE ABLE TO GO OUTSIDE. THIS IS SO GREAT!
MY GRANDPA ON MY MOM'S SIDE ALWAYS TOLD ME YEARS AGO (GOD REST HIS SOUL) "A LITTLE FRESH AIR NEVER HURT ANYBODY". AND THIS REMINDS ME OF HIM. ENJOY IT ALL YOU CAN SWEET MAGGIE GIRL.
I LOVE SEEING MAGGIE GOING DOWN THE SLIDE AND HAVING FUN OUTSIDE! YAY...YAY...YAY!!! :)
AND A WHOLE NEW WARDROBE...WOW,
SHE WILL BE STYLIN' THIS SUMMER.
WARM HUGS AND LOTS OF LOVE...GOD BLESS.
LOVE TINA, BILL AND BROCK :) :) :)
Thank you Jesus.
Oh Praise Jesus! Maggie looks so happy! Thank you for sharing the pictures! They brought tears to my eyes. God is so good!!!! We are still praying for you three! Keep fighting Maggie!
Love,
Bethany
Yes, these pictures elicit tears of joy! Thanks so much for sharing.
Love and prayers always.
Great Aunt Phyllis
How wonderful to see these pictures of Maggie outside enjoying the beautiful sunshine, and just being a little girl!
It's so amazing to see how far that she has come!
That is an awesome sight to see! Really made my day today to see her playing and having fun! : )
Whitney and Andy-
What joy it was to see these pictures of Maggie. Definitely brought tears to our eyes. Praise God! We think of you guys constantly and hoping and praying that you guys will be able to go home soon. Maggie is so precious....what a little fighter. :-)
Yay! I am so glad that Maggie was able to enjoy some time outside. The last picture was beautiful of her BIG smile! You have such a fighter among you...she truly is a gift from God! Thanks for continuing to share your heart. We continue to pray for Maggie to heal and for your strength as well. God is Good!
Blessings from the Burgh,
Erlina Mae
So, so wonderful. Her smile is fabulous.
GA in VA
The pictures brought tears of joy to my eyes. I am so glad Maggie is able to enjoy the beautiful weather! She looks like she is having so much fun.
Jen
Oh how beautiful to see Maggie smiling and playing! Thank you Jesus!
YAY!!! I LOVE IT! I do have to admit I am a bit jealous of the Occupational Therapist getting to play with Maggie. I wish we lived closer so I could be one of her therapist for moments like these. It is so good seeing her outside getting to play like a child should be. She looks as though she is really enjoying it too! Soon baby Maggie you will be at home playing on your own. I am so proud of you for fighting and giving us all hope in seeing this miracle. Our family can not wait to see you all. Zeke and I are planning a trip up in June. We continue to pray for complete healing and a homecoming soon for you all. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Absolutely LOVELY! Such a joy to see her smiling and playing. It just brings a smile to my face even thinking about it :o)
Wow! God is good! Your family is so blessed with the joys in every day! We sometimes forget to appreciate the sunshine and sliding boards and playing with people who we love. May God continue to bless you!
Absolutely beautiful! Smiling and clapping her hands! Maggie is happy! Needless to say we are all happy! Still praying for continued recovery...and the posted pics of the three of you LEAVING the hopital for home!
Maggie IS Sunshine!
T.
Thank you, God. Through Maggie, you have blessed all of us. My heart is singing!
Thank you so much for posting these cheerful pictures! They made everyone in our house smile. Praise God for His faithfulness!
I am glad that her kidneys are doing well and that she is not having reflux. Hopefully her lungs just need more time to continue healing and her desating will stop once she is clear of drugs that can inhibit respiration. I hope the oral lasix does better in removing the fluid yet sparing her potassium so you can get home. Praying that you will be home soon. Karen Cooley
Beautiful. Her hair, her growth, her smile. I can not imagine how happy your hearts must have been as parents to live this moment. God is great
Amazing, simple a miracle! I'm happy to see you both smiling and so happy! We love you! Jess and Paul
Your picture brought tears to my eyes! I can't thank you enough for sharing them with us all.I could nto be happier for you.
Susan D.
These pictures are wonderful! I am so glad to see Maggie outside, and smiling.
-Delanie
Hurray!! Love the pictures! She is getting so big!! And what lovely locks Miss Maggie has!
What an amazing little lady! We rejoice in every positive step and pray for each of you during the reverses.
Janee and her 5th graders
We are simply rejoicing over these pictures! I just can't stop looking at them! God is so good! We will continue to pray for that complete healing! Thank you for sharing these pictures!
We are thanking God and continuing to pray for steady improvement and healing. Andy and Whitney, you are being held in the light of God's love and strength as well. I ahve forwarded these beautiful photos to the prayer warriors in PA and NJ to keep them updated.
Trusting God with you,
Orville and Nancy Shoemaker
Post a Comment