Friday, April 2, 2010

Ready for Weekend

We're seeing more of the effects of Maggie's bold attempt to make the last step toward extubation on Wednesday evening. To review, Maggie was tolerating a number of changes on her vent and basically needed to tolerate one last change to be ready to pull the tube (reducing the Peep, a pressure setting, from 8 to 6). They gave it a shot, and it didn't work. This morning her x-ray showed some deflated portions of her left lung and more haziness overall (hopefully just a result of the lower pressure in her lungs). She had been back at 8 on her peep all day yesterday hoping that she would pop those portions of her lung back open again. Since it wasn't successful, today they increased all the way to 12. Her x-ray this afternoon showed that it has improved since this morning. It is hard to say how much better it is, or what this will mean for the next day or two.

They also flipped her onto her stomach to try to mobilize some of the gunk in her lungs. That didn't last long though, as she is awake enough to move her head from side to side and risk dislodging the tube, which is a risk when they are on their stomach. So she was only on her belly for a few hours. They have also begun giving her 4 CPT treatments per day (chest physio-therapy). This involves putting a little hollow cup over different parts of her lungs and rapidly slapping the cup (I can't think of a better way to describe it). Then they try to suction some of those secretions out. Maggie is getting one of these treatments now as I type.

So, it seems that they are being more aggressive to try to get her back to where she was Wednesday. We were very close to getting her off of the vent just two days ago, now we have more work to do.

I am planning to watch her improve over the weekend so that we can again discuss getting her off of the ventilator sometime next week.

So there's a medical update...we'll see about a more typical post later this evening or tomorrow.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for your precious family. Praying for an Easter miracle for you.

God Bless!

gm65000 said...

Uncle Gary and I called these treatments "pitty pats"! Knock that stuff loose so it can come out and those lungs can work!!! God Bless you all! We only went through the ICU vent tube thing for 3 days and it was an eternity. Our hearts and prayers continue to be with you.

Love you all

Aunt Beth and Uncle Gary

Anonymous said...

Almost there! Thank you God. I, too, here in Florida am impatient to hear that Maggie is 1) off the vent and breathing well on her own, and 2) ready to go home. So, I went back to the older posts to see where we were last week and two weeks ago and three weeks ago. Oh my, your little one is a fighter and she IS getting better. I am thankful for each and every step that she makes, no matter how tiny, but praying for bigger steps at the same time. Did you notice that I said "where WE were"? I seem to have made Maggie's fight and your fight MY fight, and I am certain that many others feel the same.

I have always believed that your little Maggie WILL be going home with you. She is a lesson in God's grace & power and in the power of prayer. I pray she will grow old telling her story. May you all have a quiet and healing night. Love & prayers from Cousin Carol

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in our constant thoughts and prayers. We love and miss you!

Eric and Sherry

Anonymous said...

If there ever was a time for our miracle for Maggie, this Easter weekend is it. I pray with all my heart for you both and little Maggie. I believe God has a special journey that he is taking Maggie on and in a few years we will look back in awe of what a miracle she has become. God bless you all this Easter. Keep fighting Maggie!

Jodi Sunday
Sterling, IL

Carol Blackburn said...

love and Easter prayers for Maggie...Easter is a new beginning..I have a feeling God will hurry her along to being better and better everyday.
God bless you all
Carol Blackburn
Sterling, IL

Debbie said...

This is good news. Not too long ago they wouldn't risk this kind of treatment with Maggie because she was too fragile in other ways, so this is progress.

I was talking about Maggie with a friend this afternoon and sharing how a couple of weeks ago it didn't seem like there could be any good news forthcoming. But God is performing a miracle! Now it sounds like the doc's are in new territory; God is "confounding the wisdom of the wise" in Maggie.

Praying for a continuing of the miracle!

Debbie M.

Anonymous said...

Yes we are praying for a continuing miracle for Little Maggie....Keep your FAITH and TRUST HIM.... Also pray for all the souls that don't know Him and will hear his voice and allow Him into their hearts this Easter.
Easter would be a great day to be borned again.
Love from Tennesse

Anonymous said...

Maggie we are praying for you and your parents! You are such a fighter and we are so proud of you! God is so good!

Love,
Luke and Bethany

Gwen Ernst said...

Praying that little Maggie will continue to improve and that it will not be much longer before she will be tubeless. I'm sure the two steps forward, one step back can get frusterating, but I am thankful that as slow as this recovery seems to be going, that she is recovering. I know you must be beyond exhausted mentally, phsically, and emotionally. Praying that God would give you all supernatural strength. Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Maggie is a miracle....no doubt..
I continue to pray.

T.

The Barnett Family said...

She has come so far. She is just a miracle. We were so worried about her and now there is talk of bringing her home in a few weeks. What a blessing and inspiration for us all.

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for all of you each day. We pray for peace and complete healing for Maggie.
-Janette