Maggie also had her physical therapy yesterday with Nancy at our house. Since our vacation to the beach, Maggie walks around the house all the time. Rarely do we see her crawling anymore, which is so wonderful! She is able to stand up without pulling herself up with another object, which was one of our goals. Another goal was for her to be able to stand for a given amount of time and take 20 steps consistently, both which were achieved. We are getting close to being done with physical therapy because much of what needs to be done now is strength building. One thing we are going to do is get Maggie some inserts for her feet, as her ankles/legs turn in. It will give her heels some support to help the rest of her legs.
Finally, though we are off the medicine that caused highly sensitive skin, Maggie still continues to have some rashing. She also was bit by a mosquito on her hand and had the same response as her previous bite, a blister. We wonder if she is allergic to mosquitoes, her immune system is causing crazy side effects, or her anti-fungal medicine is causing similar responses.
Maggie also has been losing hair for about a week now. I was very nervous and upset about this because with any new change, I ultimately think the "R" word. After some research from Andy and then getting confirmation from Dr. Mezoff, we believe Maggie is losing her hair due to her traumatic illness 6 months ago. The literature says that she won't lose it all, but after going through chemotherapy, I worry that she will end up bald again. Though it is superficial, I just don't want her to lose her pretty auburn hair again.
We have our monthly clinic appointment on Monday. Of course, with this comes a bucket of nerves again. We don't expect to see bad counts, but in the back of our head, we can't help but worry just a little bit. Please pray with us that Maggie continues to show that she is healed.
4 comments:
Hi Whitney -
I've been following your story for some time now - you are an amazing family although you don't always feel that way I'm sure.
I actually hope to give you some comfort on something you wrote - in March I was in the hospital with an acute kidney injury. I've healed up but in July I start losing alot of hair - brushed it out, washed it out - came out on it's own. It was six months after my illness and I wanted to give you some comfort in that it lasted only about a month and then calmed down tremendously. I began to think sort of as you did - "what the heck is NOW wrong!". Hope this helps!
When I think back six or nine months ago, I realize how grateful we all are for Maggie's progress. You wanted her to be walking well on her own before she has to be a "big sister," and looks like that goal is being met. Keep the reports and pictures coming.
Love and prayers always,
Great Aunt Phyllis
Woohooo Maggie. Would leave an exclamation mark, but that key doesn't work. i am so thrilled for all the progress and great news. Keep it up, Maggie, and then you'll be able to show little brother or sister how it's done.
Whitney and Andy, i love the new family picture on the beach.
Just want to let you know that my granddaughter who is 22 months gets a huge reaction to mosquito bites. The area swells up, pretty large, and some do blister. Maggie may only be getting the same reaction. We are keeping Maggie in prayer, knowing that God does beyond what we can think, ask or imagine. Thank God for all the good news from the doctors and for her progress in walking. Maggie...get ready, before you know it you'll be a big sister and helping Mommy with the baby. I can see you running to get diapers!
RoseAnn from Long Island, NY
Post a Comment