That's right, we are at home! Can you believe it? Praise the Lord! With the way our luck has been going, I didn't think that we would be home this early. But, we are home. Maggie's Methotrexate levels had to be lower than .1 in order for us to leave and today at 3:00, they were at .09. The chemo left her system very quickly, which is good. I have read on other sites with children having this same drug that it can take 5 days or even 3 weeks. So, I wasn't putting any stock into coming home early. Call me a pessimist, but I actually packed clothes for about 2 weeks worth. Being in the situation we are in now, when we go to the hospital, you just never know how long you might stay.
With the exception of Friday and the vomitting from her intrathecal chemo, Maggie has been in very good spirits since Wednesday. She has picked up on her eating and is breastfeeding, as well as eating cereal. When we got home, she played on the floor by herself, which is something she used to do prior to the diagnosis of this disease. Since being diagnosed, she has been very needy and always wants to be held or near one of us. Maggie has been laughing and smiling with ease. She really is the Maggie that we knew prior to cancer. We pray that this continues and we thank God that she is feeling more like herself.
Our outlook for the coming week consists of spending time at home and enjoying the outside and the comforts of our home. We plan to be back in the hospital on Friday for the exact same protocol as this past Friday. We pray that Maggie will not react adversely to the intrathecal chemo and continues to have the same results with the Methotrexate (that is, not get sick and have it leave her system quickly). Our biggest prayer request though is that Maggie WILL NOT get mouth sores. There is a high chance that she might, based on what the doctors have said. With our experience, they are one of the most horrible things that Maggie can have. She is in so much pain that we are unable to console her with anything but morphine. This will also put us back into the hospital indefinitely. Please pray that she stays clear of mouth sores and any other side effects.
We thank you again for your continued prayers for Maggie. We are encouraged by our experiences this week and know that it is because of prayer that Maggie is responding as well as she is.
8 comments:
Hi! Found your blog through JoEllen Hummel and just wanted to let you know we are praying in Maryland for your sweet family. My husband and I lived in Dayton for the first two years of our married life (we are Cedarville grads) and we have spent time with dear friends going through similar health crises at Dayton Children's. Just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Just got up because Caislyn woke, so I came to check on you guys! So happy you are all home!!! I added you to our prayer list on our blog. I hope that was fine. A lot of people are praying for you guys!!!!
Hope you are sleeping well in your own beds! :)
JoEllen
Happy Homecoming! A good birthday present for Whitney, if just a few days late. Hope you all get some good rest--as well as joyful times together as Maggie is symptom free. Love and prayers. Great Aunt Phyllis
Hello. I also found your blog through JoEllen's and wanted to let you know that I will keep you in my prayers. Great news that you are home!
May you feel God's love and comfort. Enjoy your time at home!!!
Friend of the Hummel's!
So GLAD to hear that you are home and that Maggie is doing so well after this round of chemo. I'll be praying that this blessing continues and that ALL of you get some much needed rest. Love, Cousin Carol in Lakeland
I am so happy to hear that you are home and Maggie is feeling better. I will continue to pray for all of you.
Enjoy your time at home and especially this wonderful weather we have been having. What a nice time for Maggie to enjoy the outdoors.
Love, Stephanie Lee
Post a Comment