I want to apologize for not updating the blog in the last 2 days. You know what they say, no news is good news, and it was. We were able to go home on Wednesday late afternoon after Maggie had a blood transfusion. When we went home, we did all the things we had been dreaming about in the hospital for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Since Maggie's ANC was like any other person, we were able to go out around people. We took advantage of this and went the The Greene (an outside mall) and ate outside at several different restaurants. On Wednesday, as we were eating there was live music playing. Maggie was kicking her legs, clapping, and smiling the entire time. She was so happy to be outside (as were we).
Maggie was put on IV nutrition for 16 hours each night while we were home. This was wonderful as she has not eaten regularly since early Tuesday morning. She has nursed only a couple of times. She surprised us though by taking a bottle yesterday evening (she has rarely taken a bottle) and ate rice cereal last night.
We were admitted again into the hospital this morning at 8:00am. After waiting several hours, she had her spinal, in which chemo was inserted and fluid was taken to check for any leukemic cells (there were none). She also had a catheter inserted so that they can check her urine over the next couple days. She was hooked up to IV fluid so that they can adjust her PH levels in preparation for the Methotrexate. We are still waiting for her levels to become more basic so that we might begin. Since the spinal, she has been getting sick. They have given her 2 anti-nausea drugs to help that side effect.
We really enjoyed our time at home. It felt so wonderful to be free to do what we please, sleep in our bed (the limited amount that we did), eat good food, and be outside. It's hard now to be back in the hospital, back to our new "normal." We are burned out. We are sleep deprived, as Maggie is still not sleeping well. My parents can attest to the difficult nature in getting her to sleep. On Wednesday night we tried for hours to get her to sleep, only to resort to her crying to sleep for over an hour at 4:30am (we sat and cringed the entire time). On a good night, we are getting about 4-5 hours of sleep. Maggie has become very needy in that she must be held all the time and only by me or Andy. We don't get much of a break, which has been very exhausting as well. What can I say- we are at the brink of breaking down. We are trying very hard to not get short with each other (due to lack of sleep) and to keep a positive outlook, but it's been very hard the last 2 weeks. All we want is our baby to be healthy and content (to sleep and eat). With the exception of eating and sleeping, we saw our smiling, happy Maggie the last day and a half. With the chemo, this has changed which breaks our hearts. I don't mean to complain or whine, but this is the reality we are living with and it's the hardest thing we've ever encountered. My birthday is tomorrow and several people have asked what I've wanted. All I want is my baby to be healthy. That is my prayer each and every day.
6 comments:
I am so happy the three of you were able to enjoy some time outside the hospital. But I weep for the three of you back there dealing with all the effects of the chemo--Maggie's pain and your own exhaustion caused by anxiety about her and your own lack of sleep. Be kind and gentle with yourselves in any way you can. You are much in my thoughts and prayers. Great Aunt Phyllis
I'm so glad you had some time out. I understand about the lost sleep. I will come up and hold her and not be worried (too much!) about her crying if you want a date night for your birthday. By the way, Happy Birthday! I didn't know the date.
Debbie M.
Happy Birthday Whitney!
Wishing you more peaceful days ahead and complete return to health for Maggie.
Praying for strength for you and Andy.
Deborah C
Happy Birthday Whitney! So glad that you had two good days this week...but can also imagine what a bummer it would be to "come back down to reality" again in the hospital. Please don't worry about sounding like you're whining--you're not whining, Whitney...you're just sharing your heart...that's what blogging is about. We're praying for you and hopeful that your two good days this week will turn into longer strands of good days in the coming weeks. You're making progress in this battle, don't be discouraged! :)
Continuing to pray for rest and peace and healing--With love,
Elisha and family
Happy birthday Whitney! I'm praying for you guys and will see you soon!
Kelli Bryan
Whitney and family,
I was one of your ECE 281 students. One of the other students shared the address of your blog. I just wanted to know that Maggie and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I have asked my church family to pray as well. We are praying for a quick and complete healing for Maggie. We are also praying for strength, patience, and peace for you and your husband as you walk through this difficult time. I was so glad to read that you were able to get out and have some time together.
Post a Comment